Mites.... What do they look like? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 09-02-2006, 05:41 PM   #11
SVT Snake
Ok, I got the 1% Permethrine and a Gallon of Distilled Water. I am going to remove the substrate and spray the entire cage with the solution. I am also going to soak the girl in some water and spray her with the solution before she goes back into the cage.

My question is, do I need to spray the new substrate with the solution or do I just spray the cage and add fresh substrate?

Thank for all your help!

Old 09-02-2006, 07:56 PM   #12
Cat_72
I would thoroughly clean the enclosure, spray it down inside and out, and then add fresh substrate. I'd also make sure you do any cages anywhere around where this one is as well, just to be on the safe side.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:01 PM   #13
A_Mc
Mites sometimes take more than one application to eradicate. I would not place fresh substrate in just yet. I would use paper towels as a temporary substrate. That way there are less places for the buggers to hide....AND you can check for them on the paper towel.
I have used Reptile Relief in the past with success (it works quite well if used properly and is non-toxic to reptiles).
I would also quarrantine the animal during treatment.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:21 PM   #14
SVT Snake
Question......

With the permethrine residue in the cage and on the snake, what if the snake crawls through its water and then goes back for a drink. Is the permethrine safe for it to ingest?

Old 09-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #15
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT Snake
Question......

With the permethrine residue in the cage and on the snake, what if the snake crawls through its water and then goes back for a drink. Is the permethrine safe for it to ingest?

In a word: No.

The Reptile Relief or Provent-A-Mite suggested earlier are both better alternatives for mite eradication.

If you do use the Permethrine, (which will work) be sure to rinse completely so there is no residue on either the enclosure or the animal. Remember, your dealing with a chemical.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #16
SVT Snake
What about around the eyes. It looks like thats where these little buggers like to hang out.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #17
Mike Greathouse
The first thing to do prior to treatment is to try and get as many of the mites off of the animal as possible. The easiest way to do this is to soak the snake for about 30 minutes in tepid water. Add a small amount of a mild dish soap to the water. The soap helps to break down the exoskeleton of the mite which causes them to drown. This procedure will remove a good number of the mites right off the bat.

At this point you can treat the enclosure and the animal. After the animal has been treated, leave him in a temporary enclosure (without water) overnight. The next day, repeat the soaking procedure and then return the animal to his regular enclosure.

Use a bedding of paper towels for the next 45 days. Even though you may succeed in killing all of the live mites on the animal and in the enclosure, it's likely that some of the eggs will survive.

Retreating in 30 days is good insurance to get the newly hatched mites.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #18
SVT Snake
How do you remove them from the eyes?

Old 09-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #19
Mike Greathouse
Refer to my previous post.

This will get most, if not all of them off.
When you remove the snake from the water, you can gently wipe around the face and eyes, but it is usually not necessary.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #20
SVT Snake
Thanks. Sorry for all the questions. She doesn't like to submerge her head so I ddin't know if the soaking method would work around the eyes.

Thanks again!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!