Deformed Hatchling Coloration Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-17-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
kaoslb
Deformed Hatchling Coloration Help

Dear FaunaClassifieds community,

I was sold a pair of Het Albino Ball Pythons. They are close to 9 years old. I have only bred them twice. First breeding yielded 7 viable eggs out of 9. All 7 eggs turned out to just be normal, no albinos. This past season I ended up with 5 viable eggs out of 6. Of the 5 eggs, only 2 have survived. Two appeared to have drowned in the egg and the third appears to have been deformed from the beginning. The coloration on all 5 of these seemed to indicate they were also normals, no albinos. That would be 12/12 eggs being normal and no albinos which would have been really really bad odds.

So either I have bad luck (~3% odds of no albinos out of 12 eggs) or I was sold a pair of ball pythons that weren't actually het for albino. The third egg, the one that was deformed had an odd coloration anomaly that led me to believe that perhaps something was going on with it and that perhaps they are indeed het for albino and that we just got really unlucky with these two batches. Please take a look at these pics and tell me what is going on with the coloration. It almost looks like a splotch of a different morph intermixed into the "normal" coloration.

I would really appreciate the community's thoughts and opinions. Thanks in advance!
I appreciate it!

Old 06-17-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
chrisis697
very interesting, almost looks like a pied. In the same sense tho more like a paradox of some sort. Definitely has a pied look to it, but has the pattern of a normal also. Sham it didn't make it, would have been pretty neat. Good luck with other feed back.
Chris
B and S Pythons/facebook

Old 06-17-2018, 10:13 PM   #3
kaoslb
More pics

Old 06-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #4
snowgyre
With that degree of deformity I wouldn't put any weight into the color indicating something going on with the parents. Considering the lack of pigment is right where the body folds I think it's just another deformity.

What are you incubating these guys on? What are your temps?

While it seems unlikely not to get any albinos out of 12 eggs, with a het x het it's possible you just have bad odds. Homozygous albinos are cheap enough now that I would buy a couple and prove out the parents, or just sell the parents as unproven possible het albinos.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:31 PM   #5
kaoslb
Thanks for the reply! They were incubated on egg crate over vermiculite at 99 degrees. Thanks for your opinion on the color being a deformity.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:03 PM   #6
bcr229
99F or 89F? 99 is too hot. I run mine at 87.5F.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:08 PM   #7
kaoslb
sorry,90... fat fingered it..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!