Bad Guy Snakes at sunset deceptive advertising - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:54 PM   #21
caffeinecynic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTeguChick View Post
called to confirm before placing the order and was reassured it was a juvenile and not a hatchling

I see a lot of people commenting on the fact that Snakes at Sunset uses stock photos. I don't think that was ever in contention. What I think is in contention is the fact that the OP called Snakes at Sunset and was led to believe she was receiving a juvenile around the size of the animal depicted in the picture, versus one the size of what she received.

You said their response is it's a generic picture. Did you contact them by phone or by email? Did you alert them that you had called prior to making the purchase? And/or did make the purchase over the website or the phone?

If you called them to verify the size, I'd assume you would be making the purchase over the phone. But their website says right on the front page that if you text them, they can send you up to date pictures, presumably of the exact animal you wish to purchase. Did you take advantage of this at all?

Lastly, have you alerted them to this thread? I'd like to hear their side of the story. I understand generic photos, and that is typical of a website like theirs. What is confusing me is that if you called and 100% verified that the animal would be larger, why didn't you text and ask for photos of the exact animal you'd be receiving? And/or why wasn't the sizing issue explained on the phone?

I feel like something is missing from this story.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #22
snakesareawesome
Anyone doing much volume tends to use stock photos. I still get price lists from a couple places that are just names and prices not even a stock photo :P As far as I know, snakes at sunset has a pretty good reputation. Did you contact them and let them know the item shipped didn't match your expectation? Generally, it is best to always try to resolve privately first IMO.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:25 PM   #23
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeinecynic View Post
I see a lot of people commenting on the fact that Snakes at Sunset uses stock photos. I don't think that was ever in contention. What I think is in contention is the fact that the OP called Snakes at Sunset and was led to believe she was receiving a juvenile around the size of the animal depicted in the picture, versus one the size of what she received.

You said their response is it's a generic picture. Did you contact them by phone or by email? Did you alert them that you had called prior to making the purchase? And/or did make the purchase over the website or the phone?

If you called them to verify the size, I'd assume you would be making the purchase over the phone. But their website says right on the front page that if you text them, they can send you up to date pictures, presumably of the exact animal you wish to purchase. Did you take advantage of this at all?

Lastly, have you alerted them to this thread? I'd like to hear their side of the story. I understand generic photos, and that is typical of a website like theirs. What is confusing me is that if you called and 100% verified that the animal would be larger, why didn't you text and ask for photos of the exact animal you'd be receiving? And/or why wasn't the sizing issue explained on the phone?

I feel like something is missing from this story.
If I called someone and they assured me that I was getting something I don't know that I would feel the need to request pictures. I guess I have been in this hobby long enough to know I should but I tend to have a very trusting nature.

Of course it possible the person the OP talked to didn't have a clue as to which photo the he was referring to so when asked if the animals were like the picture he/she may have just assumed the picture was of a younger animal. Miscommunication may be the real culprit here although if the ad states well started babies I'd probably expect something from 2-4 months old not a few weeks. It wouldn't matter if it was a lizard or a snake, IMO 2 -3 weeks is still a hatchling.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:27 PM   #24
predators
She ordered a Juvenile but, received a hatchling. She ordered from the picture (stock or not) it shows a juvenile but, she did not receive one. She also confirmed with a phone call They had a separate picture/listing of a hatchling and she could have ordered that one but didnt. Pretty cut and dry imo. Snakes of sunset should offer to have it returned at their cost and, the correct size resent or full refund.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:29 PM   #25
tlmoon
What is the cost difference between a hatchling and juvenile, roughly?

If the OP had just read the ad online and ordered without further research, I would probably say they should call or email next time to be sure..... since they DID call and verify the size and still got a smaller animal I think it's fair to take issue with that.

It would be nice if Snakes at Sunset refunded some of the cost, to whatever a hatchling normally costs (assuming the size complaint is legitimate - I know nothing about tegus).

Even if the seller is in the wrong, it still would have been nice for the OP to try to work with them before posting a BOI, in my opinion. This isn't a scammer situation or an animal that was grossly misrepresented.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:38 PM   #26
predators
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmoon View Post

If the OP had just read the ad online and ordered without further research, I would probably say they should call or email next time to be sure..... since they DID call and verify the size and still got a smaller animal I think it's fair to take issue with that.

It would be nice if Snakes at Sunset refunded some of the cost, to whatever a hatchling normally costs (assuming the size complaint is legitimate - I know nothing about tegus).

Even if the seller is in the wrong, it still would have been nice for the OP to try to work with them before posting a BOI, in my opinion. This isn't a scammer situation or an animal that was grossly misrepresented.
I believe in an earlier posting she mentioned trying to work with them but, received a canned response. Not surprising coming from them.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:49 PM   #27
tlmoon
Quote:
He's already here and they're a retailer so they probably won't offer any resolution at all. I would just hope that in their future as they more accurately depict what the customer is getting. I will probably sell this one and continue looking for a larger red.
This is what I saw, didn't sound like she tried? Maybe I'm missing that somewhere. I would have at least given them a shot at fixing it. But I can see being frustrated after verifying the size and getting a smaller one for the price of a larger one.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:51 PM   #28
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmoon View Post
Quote:
I paid what was a fair price for a juvenile, but is way more than what a hatchling is worth.
OP should be able to answer the cost difference question for us.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:53 PM   #29
TXTeguChick
Sorry guys I've been really busy today and haven't had a chance to get back. The only thing I was concerned with was gender and size so before I checked out on the website I called to confirm, I wasn't really concerned with individual pictures, my fault for not being more thorough. I did email their customer service and was offered a refund if I shipped him back,but after eating freight to and from it's not worth it. I should have investigated more before purchasing. Lesson learned.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:54 PM   #30
TXTeguChick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
OP should be able to answer the cost difference question for us.
I paid 175 for my hatchling last year. Juveniles have been going for 250-350.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!