Sulcata Tortoise - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
DLC_Cresteds
Sulcata Tortoise

New to the tortoise game. I've been looking into getting a small sulcata tortoise for awhile and have been sure to do my research on lifespan, husbandry and diet. I was told a 2 month sulcata would be best. What's the average size of a two month old Sulcata Tortoise?

Old 02-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #2
Dyscophus antongilii
Have a look at this:http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care...cata-Tortoise/. I know it might not have the exact information you requested, but, it might be helpful.

Please post pictures of your specimen when he/she arrives. Who did you decide to purchase from?

Old 02-05-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
DLC_Cresteds
Here’s two pictures of the little one I picked up today.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2018, 11:58 PM   #4
DLC_Cresteds
Pictures posted

Old 02-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #5
Dyscophus antongilii
I am NO EXPRT on Centrochelys sulcata. However, your specimen looks healthy. The eyes look good and so does the shell. Approximately, how large is he/she? I am VERY bad with guessing size/scale from pictures. How has his appetite been? How long have you had your specimen.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
DLC_Cresteds
About 4 inches. The appetite has been really good in the 24 hours I’ve had it.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #7
DLC_Cresteds
Is it ok to plant grass seeds directly into my baby Sulcata’s enclosure? If so, any types in mind?

Old 02-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #8
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamJoe08 View Post
About 4 inches.
That seems like a "good size" for a two month old.

Quote:
The appetite has been really good in the 24 hours I’ve had it.
That's probably a good sign, that, he/she is eating so well, right away.

Quote:
Is it ok to plant grass seeds directly into my baby Sulcata’s enclosure?
I do not see what part of that would be detrimental to your specimen. But, what do I know. The only disadvantage, I can think of is this: the seed might not grow/sprout properly.

Quote:
If so, any types in mind?
Have a look at this website: http://sulcatafood.com/All_Store_Items.html

Old 02-07-2018, 03:34 AM   #9
DLC_Cresteds
Thanks for all your help and advice. I just purchased a bag of the desert tortoise seed mix. I plan adding some seed to the enclosure and starting some flats with seeds and once they sprout use the clippings as a topper on current mix of greens.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #10
DeanS
It's at least 8 months old...probably closer to a year! The shell looks like it was started out dry. Your substrate is a good choice...just make sure the humidity is in the 90-100% range...and soak him/her at least an hour twice a day...don't wanna see that pyramiding on the carapace continue! Planting seeds in the enclosure is a waste...they'll draw bugs and he'll gobble 'em up as soon as they sprout! Lose the greens...do this instead! https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/to...4/#post-176333

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!