Southern Pacific - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
WaterDawg
Southern Pacific

Went mountain biking near my house here in southern Cal and ran across this guy crossing the dirt road. Southern Pacific rattler, fairly common in the area. All I had with was my cell phone so pictures aren't great.

Kevin

Old 06-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
born2ride#56
Looks good! Ive been goin down to a spot by my house for the last week & nothin has come up =[

Old 06-16-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
WaterDawg
Devan, I think I have found more snakes when i'm not looking for them than when I am. This spring has been unusually snaky for me. No joke, the other day I was cruising a hillside paved road near Lake Elsinore with my window down and I hear a LOUD buzzing sound in a bush right next to the road. Of course, I back up and investigate - adult red diamond back rattler. The thing was sitting next to the road rattling at cars going by!

Kevin

Old 06-16-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
born2ride#56
Yeh your tellin me, I havent had much luck the last couple yrs looking for snakes! My lucks always been with more of the lizards thats why I stick to beardies ackies frills torts etc. Sold all my snakes & feel like Ive lost the touch even while herping! But goin out friday with a buddy & hopefull hit about 3-4 spots & find some good stuff! But you know any good trails to ride around here? Me & acouple buddyies just got into MT biking...

Old 06-16-2011, 01:44 AM   #5
WaterDawg
Devan, any trail through brushy, rocky foothills has snakes, but they're not always easy to find. If it is hot this weekend in Riverside, they won't be out in the open sun except for early morning and dusk. Spring is when I find the most middle-of-the-day stuff, and its getting beyond spring now. Time for night time road cruisin.

Kevin

Old 06-16-2011, 03:28 AM   #6
born2ride#56
Yeh thats on the list! we have acouple spots to cruise at night so maybe will try that out friday & get somethin hopefully!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!