Hatchling Vields - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-15-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
Robust_Beardies
Exclamation Hatchling Vields

We had a single baby hatch out on the 13th. It came out of it's shell and is walking around aimlessly. It opened it's eyes twice for a very short period of time so far. Why isn't it opening it's eyes? How can we help this? Or is this normal? We mostly deal with bearded dragons. When should it start to eat pinheads? We grow our own crickets so we have all sizes available.

Thanks for the help in advance!!

Old 11-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
gixxer3420
Mine always ate a day after hatching. Do youhave any pics of the little guy/gal?

Old 11-15-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Robust_Beardies
Here are pictures of Bean. We dusted little pinheads for her and made her open her mouth and we put one in. She chewed and swallowed greedily. After three pinheads she wouldn't open her mouth anymore, so we stopped. We also didn't want to over feed her. But through it all, her eyes still stayed shut.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
gixxer3420
What kind of set up do you have the baby in? maybe the babies not warm enough, maybe she is dehydrated? What substrate did you incubate the eggs in, maybe the baby got something in its eyes? How long did this babue take to hatch? Could be an eye deformity?

Old 11-15-2006, 11:53 PM   #5
Robust_Beardies
We have her in a 10 gallon with shelf liner as a substrate. She has vines and fake pothos plants low to the ground so in case she falls down, the fall isn't that far. She has a 40watt bulb for heat on one side of the tank for heat. We mist her enclosure 3-4 times a day until the leaves begin to drip. She was incubated in a mix of vermiculite and perlite. The eggs were laid April 10th. So she hatched out after 7 months and 3 days. She looks perfectly developed from what we can see. The times that she did open her eyes, she looked around curiously. When her eyes came upon us watching her, she looked at us with both eyes. She got dark and flat. So she can see . . . when she wants to at least.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:54 AM   #6
Cookiegirl
I am on my 6th set of clutches.1 just hatching yesterday and over the weekend. Mine starting eating a couple of days after hatching. My vet is an exotic animal vet and she said this is normal because they have nutrition from the egg for several days.Once the babies warm up in there screened cage their eyes stay open. They are in a 16inch screened cage. You have a basking light for them. Do you have uva/uvb light on them. This is very important because they use it to process calcium. They should eat the pinhead crickets ok. I like feeding mine 1/8 inch crickets. I make sure they are gut loaded with a good recipe

Old 11-18-2006, 01:34 AM   #7
Robust_Beardies
A second baby hatched out today and this one has it's eyes open and walking much better than Bean did. Bean has one eye open now most of the time, so it's an improvement. The second one, Pea, was walking around the egg bin with some of it's yolk still attached. Is this okay? It finally fell/tore off after a while of being dragged around.

We do have an UVA/UVB light on them as well.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:19 AM   #8
Cookiegirl
The egg yolk does come off by itself. If they are still wet I take a wet paper towel using dechlorinated water or distilled and gently wipe the hatchling off and put him in the cage with his other siblings.Good luck with your babies they are so fun to watch.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!