can you tame a gator? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Crocodilian Discussion Forum

Notices

Crocodilian Discussion Forum This section is for discussions pertaining to any and all topics concerning crocodilians.

Old 02-11-2003, 06:57 PM   #1
gatorman
can you tame a gator?

I told you all awhile back about my baby gators being siezed and destroyed by Vermont Fish and Wildlife.
The charge that I am facing is possessing a wild animal without a permit. There is no law against gators in vermont.They were captive bred captive born farm gators. The judge did not dismiss the case becouse he wants more info about gators in the pet trade and if they are common in the pet trade and agrilculture farms.
I AM ASKING FOR HELP FROM ALL OF YOU

HAVE YOU EVER OWNED A GATOR?
WAS IT TAME?
HANDLABLE?
AGGRESSIVE?
DO YOU HAVE PHOTOS OF YOU AND YOUR GATOR?
DO YOU KNOW ANY STATISTICS ABOUT GATORS?
HOW MANY ARE FARMED EACH YEAR?
HOW MANY ARE SOLD IN THE PET TRADE EACH YEAR?

i WOULD LOVE ANYONES RESPONSE TO THESE QUESTIONS AND IF YOU HAVE ANY PICS AND OR STORIES OF YOUR PET GATOR IT WOULD BE A BIG HELP

My next court date is march 3rd and with the proper amunition he may throw out this case. thanks everyone. sincerely,corey kingsbury

Old 02-12-2003, 07:03 AM   #2
gatorman
Im still looking for feedback on this gator situation.thanks

Old 02-12-2003, 09:39 PM   #3
jefjen
I have owned a few gators...Some are really tame..If you get them as babies,,,and FEED them well,,,thay will stay tame throughout their entire life,,normally... Not sure of how many are sold,,,or born each year,,,but we sell quite a few... Now remember,,,i am talking about gators,,,NOT CROCIDILLIANS!!! Here is a little pic of me with a 3 footer...She doesnt bite,,,just kinda squirmy... Good Luck...
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2003, 09:40 PM   #4
jefjen
Here is another pic of some babies....
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2003, 05:37 PM   #5
gatorman
thanks

thanks to those that replied,still looking for more input. thanks much

Old 02-19-2003, 06:30 AM   #6
gatorman
Lightbulb feedback

thanks everyone, still looking for info. thanks alot

Old 02-19-2003, 12:51 PM   #7
Darin Chappell
You know,

There was a guy at the Tinley Park show outside of Chicago this past year (October, I think?), who had a 12 foot gator on display. He had the animal right out there for everyone to see AND touch! There were even small kids petting the crazy thing on the head/neck region! There were precautions taken, but if that gator had wanted to bite, it would have. I would definitely say that this animal was TAME!!!

You could contact the Tinley Park show committee to find out who that guys is and get some info from him. If memory serves, he wrote a book and speaks on several lectureship tours.

Hope this helps! Good luck on your court date.

Old 02-19-2003, 06:10 PM   #8
BrianB
Well, I've run across more than a few wild gators growing up, and haven't been eaten. Other than the occasional not-so-close encounter with them, I can't add any personal experience.

I did, however, get curious and do a little surfing. The first two hits on "alligator care" turned up these links:

http://www.reptilemall.com/caresheets/aligato.html

http://www.crocodilian.com/crocfaq/

and there's also this discussion group:

http://lists.gatorhole.com/mailman/listinfo/croclist

Apparently, they're generally docile. All that I've seen were pretty much intent on ignoring me, and those were mostly basking adults. Temperment-wise they're a lot better choice than a croc. There are a couple of other crocadilians which are supposed to be even better choices though.

The main concern seems to be size. Even if you convince the judge that an American Alligator is a docile enough captive to pose little threat, you should be prepared to give a good answer to the inevitable question of where you were planning to put an adult gator. If you have other large herps, you might want to take pics of their setups to demonstrate that you know how to house the bigger species adequately, and that might also go a way toward showing that you're not just some "crazy guy with big reptiles" to the court, rather that you're a knowledgable hobbiest with the animals' and public's best interest in mind.

Oh, one last thing.... I'm pretty sure that I've seen a pic of a gator in a store on one of the sites linked as an advertiser here, but I can't remember which one! If I see it again, I'll post the link here, and maybe you can contact that person.

Old 02-21-2003, 07:30 PM   #9
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
I've handled gators of various sizes from hatchling up to 4 feet as well as been in fairly close proximity to animals that were 8 feet and bigger(within a few feet). I have not kept any yet, but I don't plan to do so until I am properly set up to do so as well as have the proper permits and papers.

Hatchlings tend to be fairly shy in my experience and I've free-handled a few dozen without even a nip. However, sometimes they get defensive and will try to bite. But from a hatchling, this is nothing serious, but darn it hurts

Most of the juvies I've dealt with have been the same, although they will show more tendency to bite because it seems that with their bigger size comes more bravado. lol But if you regularly interact with your gator at times other than feeding or cleaning from a young age, you are very likely to have a very docile animal on your hands. However, I will not argue that a bite or tail slap from any gator over a foot and a half is not fun.

I've been in close proximity to adults in captive situations as well as in the wild and never been attacked or even felt very threatened. They usually hit the water to get out of my way or just plain ignored me. I've had the occasional large one hiss at me, but I backed off and no harm done. Unless you present a serious threat to them or their babies or unless they think you're food, you shouldn't have to worry too much(not that I would go swimming with them though ). And of course an adult can and will do serious damage under certain circumstances.

Now, when it comes to "taming" them. In my honest opinion, you cannot "tame" any species of reptile. They are wild animals and are very powerful. And they KNOW it. Certain species and individuals will tolerate handling and fair amounts of prodding and poking, but others will not(and even the nice ones have their limits). Personality can be generalised for certain species(like alligators tend to be pretty inoffensive for instance), however, each animal is an individual and they don't always read the books we do when it comes to how they should act. This is especially true of any crocodilian species(and by the way, to the person that said alligators aren't crocodilians, no offense, but try again) and the proper precautions should always be taken when handling or interacting with them. Crocodilians are just as deadly and dangerous as venomous reptiles, and no matter how "tame" you think you're gator is, all it takes is ONE mistake to earn a trip to the hospital or morgue.

When it comes to numbers, I am not sure of exact figures, but I am sure it is in the thousands easily. Alligators are not farmed in the numbers that they once were for the skin and food trade, but there are still active farms out there. As a rough estimate I would guess a good 10,000 alligators hatch on farms each year(of course these numbers could be WAY off, I'm being VERY conservative I think) and out of that I would estimate MAYBE 20-30% of them enter the pet trade(being rather generous in this regard I think). Luckily, things have changed and there doesn't appear to be as much demand for a pet gator like there was. Crocodilians are most definitely NOT for everyone, and thank goodness the majority of the public(both herpers and non-herpers) seem to realise that.

But the bottom line is this when it comes to your situation:

1) If you were in NO violation of any written laws and your animals were not in a position to be threat to the general public, you're animals should not have been confiscated and destroyed, NOR should the game officers have even come to your door.
2) If you were caring for them in a responsible manner and the animals were not subject to unsanitary or cruel conditions, again, you should have your case.
3) If your state does not have any regulations concerning large herp or crocodilian species from being kept by private individuals, again, there is no reason you should have been visited by the game department and had to go through this ordeal.

Best of luck on your case, however I feel that you have a hard fight. But, since you did not violate any laws, I am honestly shocked to see the judge did not simply throw this case out based on the fact that there is nothing for you to have violated in the first place.

Old 05-17-2005, 05:25 PM   #10
gatorbabies
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjen
Here is another pic of some babies....
ohhh they are soooooooooooooooo cute!!!

Dorothy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!