Can female veileds be housed together? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-13-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
PythonWallace
Can female veileds be housed together?

I know you can't keep males together, or a breeding pair because the male will stress the female out. But can 2 females be kept together in a 260 gal reptarium, or no way? I'm guessing not, but I have never read anything about housing adult females together. If so, what is the smallest cage size to be safe? Thanks.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:46 PM   #2
gixxer3420
Yup you can, I keep my females together and have yet to have a problem and i have been breeding them over 5 years now.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
PythonWallace
That's cool. I'm going to the dupage (formerly Lee Watson's) reptile swap tomorrow, so maybe Ill pick up another female to hang out with Jade. Anyone else have any input before I go?

Old 10-14-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
gixxer3420
i forgot to mention make sure the females are the same size.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:59 PM   #5
PythonWallace
I talked to a guy today who breeds veileds, and he said that housing femailes together is iffy, and that he's tried it and they got stressed and would nip at each other.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #6
gixxer3420
i've never had a problem with housing females together, but that could just be my veileds. My females are all the same size and i house 4 a 260 gallon reptarium. I have a huge ficus tree in there as long as 3 other smaller little ficus trees plus a ton of vines. I haven't had a problem doing it so far (5 years of breeding veileds) knock on wood. This is jus my experience.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
Chameleon Company
It can be done, but as mentioned above, is "iffy". It will depend on the dispositions of the individual animals. Two WC adult females would be least likely to be compatable. Two animals that had some history of being housed with others would be more likely to be OK with it. Two females that were raised together would likely be best friends. Sometimes you can get a specific animal that is mean as heck to all other things. Sometimes one that couldn't be more friendly. You'll just have to keep an eye on them, more so at first, to insure one doesn't actually attack the other if it feels its space has been invaded, and then over a longer initial time-frame to be sure that one is not intimidated away from food, water, or heat. There are scenarios where a male and a female can be long-term compatable together, as well as two males together. But all such pairings are "iffy", with two males being the "iffiest". Same holds true for panthers. The prevailing advice for most would be "don't try this at home".

Old 10-23-2006, 12:19 AM   #8
Will Hayward
Heres the question though... Why bother?

For OTHER species reptiles that ARE kept together, two of everything is commonly offered. Two Hides, Two waterbowls, two food bowls, two basking spots, TWICE the SIZED ENCLOSURE. And you will NEED twice the sized enclosure to fit all of that in it with decent enough living space anways.

So, why? If you have large cages and want to do this, Why not add a divider in the cage to split them in two?

Old 11-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #9
PythonWallace
I have the room for one large cham enclosure, or 2 smaller ones, but I don't have the space for 2 separate enclosures where the females wouldn't be able to see or smell each other. So, even if I kept 2 cages, they would be next to each other, which wouldn't make sense. I would get a second female if it could be done, but if not I'll just keep Jade by herself. Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:11 AM   #10
Chameleon Company
Jake,
Good luck whatever you do. But with cages next to each other, which is common to all with chameleon fever, you can simply put a visual barrier between them. Cardboard is cheap but not always durable. The lenses for ceiling flourescent light fixtures (24" X 48") sold at Home Depot or Lowes (need not be opaque, just unable to see through clearly) can be cut down to size with some caution, and work great. Whatever you decide on, just don't assume two females will be compatible without a "Plan B".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!