Can I feed my panther a mouse once a week and thats all? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
HUBSonDUBS
Can I feed my panther a mouse once a week and thats all?

My panther is 16 inch long and I just started feeding him a mouse once a week and he seems to like them a lot. I have always throw crickets in there and he grabs them as well. I was woundering if one mouse a week is enough for him and I could just stop feeding him crickets or is it better to have both. Also my cham is 11 months old is he full grown at 16 inch? He is a male noseybe pather chameleon.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
mattjillson
Thumbs down

No, don't feed him mice. ESPECIALLY on that frequent of a schedule. You're asking for big trouble. I don't recommend ever feeding mice to Panthers but if you are going to do it I know of semi-successful examples on a once every 3 month cycle. Sort of an occasional suppliment boost type of thing. I don't think it is necessary, and there are much more draw backs to benefits. But I haven't seen any examples where I was certain it has made a big positive difference. It's your animal though.

-Matt

Old 11-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
HUBSonDUBS
Well if its bad for him then il definatly stop. I was reading somewhere that someone feeds there large panthers a pink a week.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
mattjillson
You'll read a lot of yahoo stuff on the internet. That type of feeder and on that schedule might work for the short term but I'm willing to bet sooner or later disaster will strike. Chameleons aren't like species of Boids for example, with a slow metabolism and only eat once a week. They need somewhat regular feedings to be healthy. 2 days on, 1 day off will suffice of various feeders.

-Matt

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!