veiled with prolapse - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
kmart189
veiled with prolapse

I have have owned my veiled for about a year and a half and he is a male. I took him to the vet not very long ago because his eye was puffy I mist his cage on-two times a day and he has a waterfall that is kept clean. Diet is mainly crickets dusted and gut loaded and occasionally kingworms. I have the uvb lighting. he is in a 24x24x48tall screen cage with live plants that were checked witha safe plant list. the reptile store told me to gently try putting it back in and it did work for about three days and ttonight it came back out. what are my options. vet is not opened and i dont know if he will make it I tried putting the prolapse back in and it wouldnt work I think if I try any more I will only make it worse. Is he in pain? should I do something to put him down without pain or should I wait and talk to a vet tomorrow? Please help. The reptile store I deal with is closed to, but it is one that actually knows what they are talking about all they deal with is reptiles.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:12 AM   #2
Dave W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart189
...the reptile store told me to gently try putting it back in and it did work for about three days and ttonight it came back out...
Howdy,

Since you were sucessful at putting it back in before then I'd be tempted to try again. You can carefully wrap the area with gauze and some tape to keep enough pressure on the area to keep it protected and inside until you can get to the vet tomorrow.

Diet, supplements, parasites, hydration all can play a hand in prolapse troubles and the vet may help you sort things out. Whatever you do, keep it moist. K-Y jelly can be used to help get things back inside. If the tissue dries out too much, more damage will occur. Swelling is a problem too.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
kmart189
thanks dave he had his surdery and is back home in his cage now. The vet didn't really tell me why this happened, no antibiotics or special treatment just to keep an eye on him and make sure he stays healthy. It had to be removed though thanks for the reply.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!