Venomous Snake Keepers in PA - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
USMC3225
Venomous Snake Keepers in PA

Hows it going everyone? I am looking for someone in the NEPA area that has experience in keeping hots. I have 10 years experience with keeping large constrictors and have caught Eastern Timber Rattlesnakes but have never kept them or handled them in closed quarters (handle= using tools). I would like to meet somebody who wouldnt mind showing me the proper techniques used to hook, tong, feed, clean, transport, tube, and anything else you think I should know. I want to walk into this assuming I know nothing at all. Depending on how close you may be to me, I wouldnt mind helping with basic chores such as scooping poop, until you are comfortable showing or letting me help you with more. If you wouldnt mind teaching me a few things please let me know!

Old 04-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #2
Fangthane
Looking for a mentor isn't a bad idea, but I've always found myself wondering just how many people would be willing to take on the liability for someone who's essentially a stranger. My own "mentor" probably set a better example of what not to do with hots, so the possibility that someone may work to instill bad habits is something to keep in mind.

I think keeping hots is ultimately something that relies heavily on simple repetition and having basic sense. In lieu of finding someone to teach you in person, there are countless Youtube videos that can show you the more advanced things like restraining, tubing, making/using a "u-plex" and other things you won't likely need to do with any regularity.

For the more typical day-to-day stuff, you'd probably be best served by acquiring an especially hateful colubrid and simply treating it like a mamba. Build up your experience level with hooks/tongs on an animal that can't hurt you, before using them on something that can.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
Donald C
See if you have a herp society local to your area. That's a good place to dig up some local venomous keepers in the area. Either you will find one there or someone there can help you find someone. Reptile shows in PA are another good place to look. I know there are a decent amount of venomous vendors at the Hamburg show.

For trainer snakes, I've had water snakes recommended to me for practicing for vipers and asian rat snakes, racers, or coachwhips for elapids.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!