Poll: Addicted to reptiles? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the use of addiction and passion when talking about reptiles?
I use them all the time, I am addicted to my passion 6 37.50%
I like the word addiction, but not passion 2 12.50%
I like the word passion, but not addiction 5 31.25%
I don't use them, but it doesn't bother me that others do 1 6.25%
I hate when people say that, god it's so stupid please stop 1 6.25%
I don't like the overuse of those words, but polls are even worse 2 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
garweft
Poll: Addicted to reptiles?

So how do you feel about people using the terms addicted and passion when describing how they feel about reptiles?

Old 03-25-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
Miss Tuniwha
Honestly, some people are truly addicted. Like hoarding. I have a friend that loves HAVING animals, but not taking care of them. He is addicted. always wants more.

as for me. I love animals. it is a passion for me. makes me smile. and taking photos of them ^_^

Old 03-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
ravensgait
I'm an addict!!!! I smoke snakes day and night and snort a few lizards on the weekends!! really hard to keep them in a line though!!!....... Randy

Old 03-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
CurtisF
Perhaps we should consider making a Reptiles Anonymous

Old 03-25-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
Dragondad
Gives new meaning to the phrase "Good Columbian".....

Old 03-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
LadyOhh
They are my passion... Addiction is something I find rather odd as a choice of words, but I do find myself checking the classifieds every day and so forth... So maybe I am addicted, but I don't use the word.

Reptiles are my passion, however. I am comfortable with that.

Although, what Randy does sounds interesting... Hmmmmm...

Old 03-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
iasc300
Well I have sat and watched my snakes for hours crawl around, multiple times- its peaceful to me- I enjoy it eminsly- If I have a bad day at work and I come home, I usually just take my snakes out for awhile and I feel alot better- I dont know if thats passion or addiction- maybe im just f'ed up

Old 03-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
fuscusking13
My take for what its worth......

Addiction to me just seems like such a negative word. That being said I think reptiles like anything else can be an addiction-too much of a good thing. I guess in a sense a lot of us approach reptiles as in addiction, you cant have just one!!! I find myself getting that snake I have always wanted, and then all of a sudden something else will catch my eye and I will want that too. I guess if money, time and such were no object I would have as many snakes as I could take proper care of.

As far as passion goes this is perfect to describe my take on reptiles...they are my passion and my hobby. If I could do anything for the rest of my life with no regrets it would be work with reptiles. I have been hooked since day one. I love all animals(minus aracnids, huge fear lol) but reptiles are so different from everything else, and there is still so much that is not known or understood, kind of leaves room for adventure I guess. When I used to run(in the operating and care of the animals, not the financial sense) a rescue up here I would often drive there in the middle of the night just to check on everyone, and maybe even clean a few cages while I was there. I used to feed on Christmas and Thanksgiving and such and spend my holidays there, since no one else was there on those days. Once there was a scare that someone was going to break in and steal some stuff so I slept on the floor of the snake room for a few days just to make sure they were safe. They become so much more than just an animal to me, they become a part of the family and should be treated as such(obliviously within reason). Doing resuce was the most rewarding yet frustrating thing I have done in my life. It is unbelievable what people can do to an animal, but there is no better feeling than getting a reptile on deaths door step, and seeing that first full shed, or first meal in months, or even just knowing that without you that animal would not be here anymore... and thats an incredible feeling no matter how many animals you have saved. Its funny I never cried when my grandmother passed, or friends from school passed, or any other family members, but I have cried over snakes that had died after a day or two at the rescue. When you put your heart and soul into something, and dont succeed it sucks. Some may not understand what I talking about, but those that have been there know, and thats why there is nothing I would rather do with my life than work with these incredible animals. I only wish I was wealthy enough to do more rescue and more for their preservation. Have a great weekend, Dan M.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
Leighanne
Hows about both?

I think both words fit us all! They are my passion, my hobby, my life, became an addiction. Addiction is usually a bad word. Addicted to cigarettes, drugs, whatever. You can be addicted to Reptiles just watch out. Don't over extend yourself, your finances and everybody's ok. I have also sat and watched my Snakes or my Geckos for hours on end. Nothing feels better then to have a bad where it feels like every human is being a jerk off but then I come home to Rayne and no matter what theres always love. Even just cleaning, feeding, taking care of them makes you feel important, useful, hopefully appreciated. At least we appreciate what were doing for them.

Dan, very nice post! I ran into my first Rescue group of Leos and nothing feels better, a little frustrating on the constant work or bad finances but well worth it. You just wish you could get ahead. You save one and then come on line or meet a fellow "Herper" and theres another starved Critter or something. So I say BOTH! Hows about their our lives!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!