Having Trouble Breeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-14-2004, 04:58 AM   #1
Labinnah
Having Trouble Breeding

...not even that far along, actually. I'm having a lot of trouble introducing my patternless carrottail male to any females. He's a big guy, about 50 grams, and gorgeous (I attached a low-quality image for ya'll to see), so I'd really like to breed him. He's never been outwardly aggressive towards me, but the person that had him before I did never kept him with any other leopards. I have two females that I wanted to try to mate him with, they're both between 45-55 grams and are living in their own 20-gallon-long habitat. I've tried three different times to introduce him, each spaced out far apart. The first was simple, put him in the tank, let him find the females and see what happens. Well, I put him in the tank, and in about 30 seconds he drove both females outta the hidebox and took it for himself. They seemed irritated at his presence, so I let him enjoy the hidebox for another moment before returning him to his tank. The next time, I put him in at night when both females were out. They approached him with their tails high, he walked towards them with his tail twitching and shaking like crazy, then he bit the smaller of the two females. I took him out again. The last time, I tried introducing him to only one female, the larger of the two. Same thing as before, massive amounts of tail shaking and then he bites onto her in a not-too-nice fashion.

Is there anyway to socialize him at this size without getting anyone hurt? How can I breed him if he's this unhappy with other geckoes?

And last but not least, am I using the correct term for his markings? I've had three different people tell me different names, take a look at my low quality pic here and lemme know what ya think:

(if you can't see it very well, his body is a deep yellow-orange, the first 25% or so of his tail is carrot and the end of it is a pure lavender/white/grey colour. He has no spots whatsoever.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carrottail.jpg (11.7 KB, 103 views)

Old 08-14-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
gmherps
My females do the same to my male. Don't worry about it, they will "court" soon enough! I hope this helps you out.

Old 08-14-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
Monte
He knows what to do . . .

. . . those are good signs. Let them alone and they will mate. That tail shaking is part of mating process - so is the biting. Plus, scent is a huge deal, and they will be stimulated to breed by just letting him in the cage.

All that stuff is normal - even the biting. (you obviously are not married - LOL)

Good luck.

Old 08-15-2004, 01:24 AM   #4
riverjop

Old 08-15-2004, 11:55 AM   #5
Xavier
My male tang albino showed no signs of wanting to breed last fall when he was 50's gram range. Thru the winter thier ambient temp dropped to the high 70's and 8 hours of "sunlight". Come March he successfully bred to 5 females and was then 86 grams. He went on to be 96 grams thin month. So when I first tried to bred him he was alittle guy and a monster now. Maybe he was too young yet maybe he just needed to go thru a cooling period and less daylight, or aybe I just didn't leave him with the femaled long enough. I recently put a different female with him for 2 weeks and he showed little intrest. If she happens to not lay eggs I will come to suspect he needs a cycling stage that not proven true with leos in general do.
Xavier

Old 08-16-2004, 08:30 AM   #6
Labinnah
Hi again!

Wow, thanks for all the responses and advice! The male is going back in with the females today, and I'm just going to let them do their thing.

Thanks again

Old 08-16-2004, 12:57 PM   #7
ShannanD25
My boy Bruce would chase his two girls out of their favorite hide then take it over himself....I added some extra hides. He always seemed to want the one they were in. There was alot of biting as well so just grin and bear it. They will eventually get the deed done good luck

Old 08-17-2004, 04:29 PM   #8
a t l a27
why dont you play some kenny G..turn the lights down low...light some candles..then let the mood settle in.before you know it you have little leos running around!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!