It’s All in the Face - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Snakesitter
It’s All in the Face

Now and then I capture a few nice headshots of Jasper, one of our up and coming juveniles. Now two years and ten months old, she has one of the darkest faces I have ever seen on a Brazilian Rainbow, which makes for some captivating pictures. The effect really stands out with shots taken from the direct front or three-quarters. Side shots show it to a degree, and the effect is there but less noticeable from the top.

Here she is modeling for the camera in May 2012.

We’ll start with some top shots, which as noted only show this effect to a degree. However, these shots give a good idea of the contrast between Jasper’s body and head.

Top Far

Top Closeup

Now we’ll move to some of those front/three-quarters shots. These shots really nail the effect.

Quarter Far

Quarter Closeup

Finally, here are some older shots from July 2011. These are very washed out due to the poor lighting at the time, but do a great job of showing just why her face is so dark:

Front View

Three Quarters View

Note the flicker of the tongue in the last shot.

I’m looking forward to seeing what she produces for offspring in either 2013 or 2014 -- especially since that dark face comes as icing on her full bullseye heritage.

Thank you for reading,

Old 07-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Matt2979
I don't think I've ever seen a BRB with such a dark face. She is really pretty! But you have GOT to quit showing all of these gorgeous specimens!! Every time I see them, I fight off the urge to go find your classifieds ads. LOL

I know the pics of from different ages, but is the first one in her actual tub (with the sphagnum moss)? Or is that a tub inside of her enclosure?

I've just started doing some research since it appears inevitable that I'm going to break down and get myself a nice BRB...especially when my wife is standing over my shoulder whenever I happen to checkout some of your beauties and keeps saying, "Ooohhhhh, I like THAT one!!". And she says that about every one of yours that I've looked through!

I know they're tiny as babies and can be kept in a tub, but how big of an enclosure will a female need as an adult? 3-foot Vision-type of enclosure good? And how long will it take her to outgrow a tub? 2 years?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Snakesitter
Matthew....come to the dark (and sparkly, but in a good way?) side... LOL on your wife's reaction!

The first picture is of Jasper's hide, which I moved to the floor for those pictures. It is a largish "moist" hide, packed with sphagnum moss, and resides on one side of her four by two enclosure. I am not a big believer in keeping adults of this species in anything but full enclosures.

I recommend two square feet for a baby, four for a juvenile (up to about age two), and at least six for an adult...more is better. Note this is floor space, as Brazilians (especially as they grow) spend less and less time climbing. A large water bowl and moist-packed hide are the two key furnishings.

Thank you for commenting, and please let me know if you have any other questions!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!