Received 3 Terrapins via US Priority Express Mail - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
neilg
Question Received 3 Terrapins via US Priority Express Mail

i forgot to mention when i joined FC last week, that the trio of dbt monthlings i received also last week, costed me $30 shipping and arrived via $19 express mail shipping.

it just dawned on me as i threw out the flat-rate envelope today now that all seems fine with the three toddlers, that there was no sticker or writing indicating live animals as in constrast has always been the case in past and present when i receive my saltwater critters whether via USPS, UPS, or FedEx.

my inquiry is a general one and not specific to any person, vendor, or business. to the reptile sales and shipping industry, yes: is there a certain hush-hush among some or all those who ship reptiles via USPS? if so, why? (enlighten me!=)

Old 01-30-2015, 05:05 AM   #2
dhct301
Its illegal. I think I know who you got them from. A guy in pa

Old 01-30-2015, 06:34 AM   #3
Lucille
From the USPS site:

525 Nonmailable Live Animals

Nonmailable types of animals discovered in the mailstream must be reported to the PCSC in accordance with the instructions in POM 139.118. Additionally, the mailer and the Post Office of mailing must be notified to prevent future shipments from being incorrectly accepted for mailing.
525.1 Live Birds

Day-old poultry vaccinated with Newcastle disease (live virus) is nonmailable. Day-old birds, except those specifically permitted under 526.3 are nonmailable.
525.2 Live, Warm–Blooded Animals

Warm-blooded animals, except for adult birds and specified day-old birds under the specific conditions in this section, are not mailable.
Cats or kittens.
Dogs or puppies.
Guinea pigs.
Hamsters.
Mice.
Rabbits.
Rats.
Squirrels and flying squirrels.
525.3 Reptiles

All snakes, turtles, and poisonous reptiles are nonmailable.
525.4 Poisonous Insects and Spiders

All poisonous insects and all spiders, except scorpions under limited circumstances (see 526.5), are nonmailable. Other nonpoisonous and non-disease-conveying insects are permitted as stated in Exhibit 526.6.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:43 AM   #4
dhct301
Yes its illegal as I stated.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
reptileloverboy
So its illegal to ship all reptiles or only certain?

Old 05-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
neilg
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhct301 View Post
Its illegal. I think I know who you got them from. A guy in pa

gosh i forgot about this thread and never followed up. yea..

the list posted (above) lists 'Reptiles' then:

"All snakes, turtles, and poisonous reptiles are nonmailable."

so, what about tortoises? lizards?

and what about amphibians, ie, polliwogs?

i've received frogs from haha via usps express mail (haha had not disclosed what carrier they use when i ordered and i was busy and new to the hobby so didnt pay so much attention to ethical shipping back then like i do now).

Old 05-31-2015, 08:05 AM   #7
Pasodama
I would imagine that tortoises would fall under "turtles" in the eyes of the usps.
Lizards, amphibians, etc. are not listed as nonmailable. This means that you would not be illegally shipping those specific critters via usps. Although, for the sake of those critters, I would never recommend shipping them via usps.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
neilg
ahh.. good to know! thus polliwogs newts salamander geckos etc -well all unprotected lizards and amphs acquired legally - would be legal to ship via USPS where state laws do not prohibit such species?

hopefully with some level of shipping standards..ie, insulated containers; cuz the terrapins arrived simply rolled up in a PILLOW CASE as their only insulation aside from thin cardboard box (think 'pigs in a blanket') =D

Old 05-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
hhmoore
All of this information is readily available on USPS.com - all you have to do is look for it...in fact, once you get to one piece, most (if not all) of the other pieces are linked.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c5_003.htm#ep183809
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c5_004.htm#ep183835
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c5_008.htm#ep184096

Old 05-31-2015, 12:47 PM   #10
neilg
thanks hhmore. those Animal Shipping Requirements are way more concise than those provided at UPS & Fedex!

i mean USPS at least goes on to address publically on their site the expected time in transit, and even that it limit its employees to a particular window (maximum approx 4 hours) the animal shipment should be on the vehicle til delivery.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!