I have a friend in China who is an experienced exporter... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:08 AM   #1
BeauBoi
I have a friend in China who is an experienced exporter...

I have imported non-living products in the past from her, but she has suggested that (since I am an avid herper) that I let her act as an overseas agent for me and we import snakes. Is this something that is financially viable? I am sure there are aspects that I am not aware of, being just a hobbiest, but I AM interested in the possibilities... Can anyone make any suggestions or point out some reference material that might help me understand the ins and outs of importing reptiles?
Thanks in advance!
~Beau

Old 01-29-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
dieselfan
Absolutely! It just depends on what species you are trying to work with. There are loads of desirable, hard to get, locale specific species and morphs over in China that are not often seen here in the states. I do not mean to be rude but you or someone close to you would need to be experienced in proper quarantine protocol as well as know how to properly set up and care for all the different animals that you would be importing. You would likely need to apply for your own import license and your friend would need an export license. Information here http://www.fws.gov/permits/importexp...ortexport.html.

I am not aware of any reference material concerning chinese reptile imports. I can assure you that if you played your cards right importing the right animals can be fun and financially viable. You would have to know which species and morphs are most desirable and know where to list them for sale.

Do you have the money, space, cages, and know how for making your venture successful? I suppose you would need to ask yourself a lot of questions too. Is your friend in china a long time reptile collector or breeder or do they have a background in biology or ecology? If the answer is no, I would not go into a import/export business with someone who is "new" to the hobby or reptiles. There are so many variables that are easily over looked and or forgotten and the animals will ultimately pay the price for your short comings.

Personally I think it would be great to see someone specialize in chinese reptile imports. Sorry I am starting to ramble now! Waiting on my coffee to kick in! If you have any specific questions I can try to get you some more info or offer my opinion. Good luck!!!

Old 01-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #3
BeauBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfan View Post
Absolutely! It just depends on what species you are trying to work with. There are loads of desirable, hard to get, locale specific species and morphs over in China that are not often seen here in the states. I do not mean to be rude but you or someone close to you would need to be experienced in proper quarantine protocol as well as know how to properly set up and care for all the different animals that you would be importing. You would likely need to apply for your own import license and your friend would need an export license. Information here http://www.fws.gov/permits/importexp...ortexport.html.

I am not aware of any reference material concerning chinese reptile imports. I can assure you that if you played your cards right importing the right animals can be fun and financially viable. You would have to know which species and morphs are most desirable and know where to list them for sale.

Do you have the money, space, cages, and know how for making your venture successful? I suppose you would need to ask yourself a lot of questions too. Is your friend in china a long time reptile collector or breeder or do they have a background in biology or ecology? If the answer is no, I would not go into a import/export business with someone who is "new" to the hobby or reptiles. There are so many variables that are easily over looked and or forgotten and the animals will ultimately pay the price for your short comings.

Personally I think it would be great to see someone specialize in chinese reptile imports. Sorry I am starting to ramble now! Waiting on my coffee to kick in! If you have any specific questions I can try to get you some more info or offer my opinion. Good luck!!!
Hi!
Thank you for the response! I was starting to give up on anyone replying lol!
I cannot lie, my own experience with old world snakes is limited to Chinese Beautys. However, I am a senior Biology student at the College of Charleston, and I worked as an Enviromental Engineer in the Oil Industry for more years than Imcare to admit.

When I say I am "new" to the hobby, I specifically mean that it is only in the past few years that I have had a collection exceeding 50 snakes. I have bred and hatched snakes 16 times, I also rais a number of insect "pets" (specifically the orchid mantis), and I have also dallied with numerous other inverts and amphibians. Also, thought it isn't really related to the hobby, I also interned with the CDC; I am very good at researching and following protocols.

I actually have a contract with an import consulting firm. They collect all the necessary paperwork and help fill it out and file it. I also have a very good exotic pet vet who has been veer encouraging in this regard.

My friend, Debbie, is not herself a herper, but she has exported snakes and various amphibians on numerous occasions and Imtrust her.

When I first mentioned snakes to Debbie, I was lamenting the lack of genetic diversity in the Chinese Beauty Snake population here in the U.S. When she told me she regularly purchases them for about $9, the wheels started turning lol.

The large expenses on my end, would be housing and vet bills, and most of that would be vet bills.

I am seriously looking into to it. importing is NEVER a quick or easy process, I have been importing now for a little over 2 years, and not once has it been "smooth", but it has always been worthwhile.

I will keep you posted. I am serious about wanting to do the deal, and after it is complete I will sell excess specimens. None of this "looking for investors", that is just too much bother.

Cheers!
~Beau

Old 01-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #4
dieselfan
Eyvonne, it sounds like you are MORE qualified than a lot of importers! You should go for it!!

Old 01-29-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
BeauBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfan View Post
Eyvonne, it sounds like you are MORE qualified than a lot of importers! You should go for it!!
Thank you! I feel pretty certain that I am going to do it, I just wish there were more information reaidly available on importing live animals (specifically from China), or even people who are experienced in importing live reptiles who are willing to advise. Ever since I started importing, I have discovered that the people who are experienced in the import/export field keep their knowledge close to the chest (not too dissimilar from many in the herp feild, now that I think of it lol).

I think that, as time permits and as I begin to learn the ins and outs of reptile importing, I will post what I learn here. Maybe it will help someone else out along the way...

~Beau

Old 01-31-2016, 05:22 AM   #6
snakesareawesome
I don't know anything about the profitability but I would certainly like to see someone bring in different species / localities before the Chinese eat them all.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
BeauBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesareawesome View Post
I don't know anything about the profitability but I would certainly like to see someone bring in different species / localities before the Chinese eat them all.
You are not the only one that has occurred to! Lol if find it rather interesting also, that "odd" looking snakes are generally discarded by the Chinese as "unlucky", which is why they often end up in shipments to Americans importing for the pet trade--the Chinese think they are "getting one over" on the purchaser by sending them "unlucky" snakes, where as on this end we are absolutely thrilled with getting a "new morph"! Lol

~Beau

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!