Scammers and thieves: How would you sentence them if YOU were the judge? (+1 OK) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

View Poll Results: You're the judge, what's your sentence?
I hate thieves and I work HARD for my money: make them do hard time 6 28.57%
Make them do their deal the right way, and then fine them 1 4.76%
Burn them at the stake 3 14.29%
Let the punishment fit the crime, but make it tough enough that they would never do it again 8 38.10%
I'd let them be sentenced by a jury of those they scammed 5 23.81%
If the crime was a first, and unintentional, just restitution would be OK. 7 33.33%
Have the word 'scammer' tattood on their forehead 4 19.05%
Hang them 2 9.52%
Prohibit them from ever doing reptile business in the future 4 19.05%
Make sure their cellmates were big and bad and let nature take its course 5 23.81%
Money talks: sentence them to give back ten times the amount in question to each person they scammed 7 33.33%
I'd do an original sentence, like letting them do 30 days in a pit of cobras 2 9.52%
Just let them go free, they'll learn and do the right thing next time 0 0%
Make sure the jury was composed of those with a membership in Fauna 2 9.52%
other, detail below 3 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2006, 07:12 AM   #1
Lucille
Scammers and thieves: How would you sentence them if YOU were the judge? (+1 OK)

The reptile world certainly has its share of liars, thieves and scammers; and sometimes innocent purchasers lose significant amounts of money in reptile deals.

Judges typically have some latitude in sentencing: they may consider the details of the defendant's crime, the particulars of how it harmed those to whom it was directed, the past history of the defendant, and the current attitude of the criminals whom he/she is sentencing, whether they are remorseful, working toward making reparations, etc.

There is a range of criminal behavior involved too. Criminal behavior in the reptile world might range from negligence, for example when one does not realize that a reptile is sick prior to shipping it off, to more knowing crimes such as shipping snakes via USPS to save money, (a felony), to all out stealing and scamming by taking money and intentionally and knowingly not sending anything in return for the money received, or realizing that an animal is ill and/or infested and sending it anyway.

Picture yourself as a judge handing down a sentence to a convicted criminal in the reptile world. What kind of sentences would YOU choose?

Old 05-06-2006, 07:37 AM   #2
Cat_72
The only option on the poll I had a bit of trouble with was,

Quote:
If the crime was a first, and unintentional, just restitution would be OK.
For the MOST part, I think if a bad deal was honestly completely unintentional, I wouldn't call them a "scammer" as such.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
Ginger Ambrose
I voted for letting a jury of thier "true" peers decide. Only those being the honest peers. I also believe they should have to make restitution +.
No matter what it should be serious enough to make them think long and hard before they decide to scam again.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:00 AM   #4
coyote
I think some form of public humiliation would be effective.
Coupled with restitution and pain and suffering.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #5
shrap
You left out public stoning....

"Lets go to the stoning...."

Old 05-06-2006, 07:36 PM   #6
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
You left out public stoning....

"Lets go to the stoning...."
Not to mention tarring and feathering.
But I think some of that stuff might be unconstitutional....

Old 05-06-2006, 08:12 PM   #7
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
Well that has never stopped our Government before....

Old 05-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
Well that has never stopped our Government before....
I actually ran down a short list of the expected responses I thought you'd make to my post and that wasn't on it.
Your not predictable, Sammy.....

Old 05-07-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
coyote
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
Not to mention tarring and feathering.
Public humiliation can be made Constitutional. And, stoning aside, the pain of humiliation goes on and on.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:26 PM   #10
harrellharrell
Ok if I'm the judge, this may not be realistic, but I would love to do it. Sentence them by a jury of fauna peers and then we take a poll of Fauna members with several ideas of sentences. This is where it gets fun... the sentence is carried out a la "Groundhog Day" Every day until they get it right.

Melissa

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!