Can they be housed together? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-16-2005, 06:17 PM   #1
SPJ
Can they be housed together?

I read that collard lizards and leopard geckos can be housed together.

Is this true?

Has anyone tried it?

Old 10-16-2005, 06:35 PM   #2
montezuma
I think maybe beardies and collareds would work together ok but leos and collareds??? I don't think they would too well but then again you never know.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
Vince
lol who told you this? This is a joke right. Collard lizards eat geckos like candy. Most collard lizards main diet in the wild are other lizards. Try houseing collards with a desert iggy or hornd toad. And leopard geckos, im not sure what would go well with them.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:02 PM   #4
aimee_s
I wouldn't house different species of reptiles together with leopard geckos, mainly because I'm afraid of fighting, food domination, and the possibility that one could eat the other.

Just out of curiosity... what the heck is in your avatar? I stared at it for a longggg time before I finally replied.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:06 PM   #5
SPJ
It's in the leopard gecko manual written by Philippe de Vosjoli, Roger Klingenberg, Ron Tremper, and Brian Viets.

It says pairs of collared lizards have been successfully kept with leopard geckos.
They should be of similiar size and because the collareds are active during the day and the leopards are active at night, they can be kept together successfully.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
Vince
it looks like a bamboo shark

Old 10-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
SPJ
Quote:
Just out of curiosity... what the heck is in your avatar? I stared at it for a longggg time before I finally replied.
It's my baby bamboo shark.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:09 PM   #8
Vince
Tails make a tasty treat for a collard. Trust me I have had collards in the past. They love eating other lizards. I have seen them eat lizards almost as long as they are.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:11 PM   #9
SPJ
That's not right. They should not put it in the manual that you can successfully house leopards with them.

The book also says South African flat lizards and girdle-tailed lizards can be kept with leos.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:15 PM   #10
Vince
well all I know is collards eat alot of lizards. I used to breed them (well tried to breed them) , and to acclimate them . It was recommended to feed them large anoles, and slowly wean them off to crickets and meal worms.

I would think lizards like those would stress out the geckos way to much. If you want something cool to house in a big desert vivirum with some leos, I would think a baby spur thigh tort would be cool, and safe.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!