"Super snake' fears on the rise in Florida" (siiiiigh) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
lovin2act
"Super snake' fears on the rise in Florida" (siiiiigh)

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-a...tory?track=rss

5 African rock pythons, which in their homeland are known to eat goats, are seen during a 3-day search in Miami-Dade County. Officials worry that the rock python could breed with the Burmese python.

Reporting from Fort Lauderdale, Fla. - Fears of a new "super snake" emerging in the Everglades grew this week during a hunt to track South Florida's invasive python population.

A three-day, state-coordinated hunt that started Tuesday had, by Wednesday, turned up at least five African rock pythons -- including a 14-foot-long female -- in a targeted area in Miami-Dade County.

Those findings add to concerns that the African rock python is a new breeding population in the Everglades and not just the result of a few overgrown pets being released into the wild, according to the South Florida Water Management District.

In addition, state environmental officials worry that the rock python could breed with the Burmese python, which already has an established foothold in the Everglades. That could lead to a new "super snake," said George Horne, the water district's deputy executive director.

In Africa, the rock python eats creatures as large as goats and crocodiles. There have been cases of the snakes killing children.

"They are bigger and meaner than the Burmese python. It's not good news," said Deborah Drum, deputy director of the district's restoration sciences department.

The concern is that a hybrid python could pose even more risk of large constrictor snakes overwhelming the Everglades -- where they thrive without a natural predator.

The state estimates that thousands of Burmese pythons have spread through the Everglades. Some came from people releasing exotic pets they no longer wished to care for; others are thought to have escaped during hurricanes and then bred new generations in the wild.

Unusually cold temperatures in South Florida recently have flushed more of the snakes out of the wild and onto flood control levees.

Three of the African rock pythons found in the snake hunt this week were captured, and two got away. One had a circumference of 31 inches. Another was bearing eggs.

The African rock python typically has a "nastier disposition" than the Burmese python, said LeRoy Rodgers, a water district scientist.

"These are animals that are hot predators, and now there are two species to worry about," he said.

areid@sunsentinel.com

Copyright © 2010, The Los Angeles Times

Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
DAND
Not the super snake.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
lovin2act
Oy veh

Old 01-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
boid99
Someone from HSUS has to be letting these things go

Old 01-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Chris@SFC
Something doesn't seem right. I know I might sound Nieve because my love of reptiles, but it truly doesn't sound right.
This is the second incident of rock pythons in the same exact area? To spice the story up they added that a pregnant female escaped from their possession. WTH?!

This story seems fishy. No pics, no documents of those captures.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisstyle21 View Post
Something doesn't seem right. I know I might sound Nieve because my love of reptiles, but it truly doesn't sound right.
This is the second incident of rock pythons in the same exact area? To spice the story up they added that a pregnant female escaped from their possession. WTH?!

This story seems fishy. No pics, no documents of those captures.
It's obvious, these Rock Pythons were het for Super Snake which is why they were able to escape and or evade the officials.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:26 AM   #7
pythonjim
humans behaving humanly.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Pythonbreeder99
if the afrocks were to breed with the burms wouldnt the hybrid babies be sterile?

Old 01-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
John Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
It's obvious, these Rock Pythons were het for Super Snake which is why they were able to escape and or evade the officials.
yeah and the doofs trying to I.D. them are probably het for stupid

Old 01-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #10
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Apple View Post
yeah and the doofs trying to I.D. them are probably het for stupid
Probably?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!