Super worms ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
Peezer123
Question Super worms ?

I was wondering how old/big does my new baby have to be before i can feed him something other than these small crickets, like super worms or dubia? He is about 4-5 inches long ..

Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
Jabberwocky Dragons
You can start feeding very small dubias now as well as mini-mealworms. The softer the shell for both, the better. It would be preferable to give him a varied diet, so you should stay with crickets too but it would be much less. After a couple tries, you should be able to get him to eat dubias out of your hand (we go this route since it can be hard to get a feeding response otherwise). I would stay away from superworms for babies and then they should only be occasional treats for juvies and adults, never a diet staple.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Peezer123
How about phoenix worms?

Thanks for the advice, what do you think about phoenix worms, because i just ordered 600 smalls because i read that they are good for dragons an they are available in small?
Thanks Alex

Old 06-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Jabberwocky Dragons
No problem! I am not that familiar with phoenix worms, we prefer to gutload and dust other feeders, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. With that caveat in mind, I believe they are very nutritious (and calcium loaded) and the small size should be tiny enough for baby dragons. Just feel them first and make sure they are relatively soft. The baby dragon's digestive system make not be suited for harder shelled feeders so young. Hope this helps, ask away if you have more questions.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Peezer123
They should arrive weds-thurs so I will deffinatley check to make sure they are soft enough feeling before I feed them. In the picture they look pretty soft and small so hopefully they work out.
Thanks again

Old 06-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
louisanthonyjr
Dubia is a must!

I'm not that familiar with Phoenix Worms but I swear by Dubia Roaches. Not only do my dragons love them, but they are like steroids for dragons! My most recently purchased dragon was 90 grams when I got him. He is now 160 grams in just over a months time! Gut loaded Dubia and a nice variety of greens will give you one healthy robust dragon. In addition, they are much easier to digest than crickets and they have a substantially higher meat to shell ratio than crickets (about 7 times more). I don't feed superworms until my dragons are in the 250 gram range, just to be safe.

Hope my advice helps, good luck with your new dragon!

Old 06-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
Peezer123
I have began starting my own colony about a week ago...so far so good. Although my lil guy not quit big enough for any of the ones I have yet so it will probably b a while before I actualy feed them.
Thanks for the advice tho!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!