Any experience with the Arcadia DHP? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
Randall Turner
Any experience with the Arcadia DHP?

I recently picked up a 3 stack of Vision 222 enclosures, and I'm debating on what method to use for heating. I don't want to use Ceramic Heat Emitters as they get too darn hot on the surface and I don't feel they are safe in the dome cutouts of enclosures. I can't go with Radiant Heat Panels as Pro Products doesn't make one suitable for the space available, and the 28 watt from Reptile Basics won't be enough oomph.

So that leaves me with heat tape and bulbs. I was looking at the Arcadia Deep Heat Projector, and I can't find much info on them. Like how hot do the bulbs actually get? Will they be safer than Ceramic Heat Emitters? I may end up having to just order one and testing it, but would prefer to get some input from anyone who has first hand experience first.

The enclosures will likely be used as growout enclosures for some Boas, but may eventually be moved over to bull snakes.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:14 PM   #2
bcr229
I use two DHP's with my adult male carpet python, though with the house at a warmer ambient temp for the summer I only have one turned on. He's in a 125-gal fish tank that no longer holds water. I made two plexiglass tops for it.

The top of the DHP where the bulb screws into the fixture is the hottest part, 116*F according to my trusty temp gun. The bottom of the housing is 106-108*F.

The top of the plexi is about 4" under the bottom of the housing and is a toasty 130*F. About 8" under that is the top of a "jungle gym" made of driftwood, which temps at 81-84*F. My carpet python really likes to perch there. He's under his hide now because he's in shed so he's not feeling social.

Plexiglass doesn't block IR radiation like glass or other plastics can so the DHP works well with it. I don't know how well it would work with the Vision enclosures; IIRC there's a metal mesh at the bottom of the insert that would likely block more than half of the radiation from the DHP, so that metal piece would get quite toasty.

I do have a few Vision enclosures and I really like using heat tape with them. The bottom is thin enough that the heat transmits right through to create a hot spot.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2020, 08:28 PM   #3
Randall Turner
Thank you for your reply. It is exactly the sort of information I can't find anywhere. They sound like excellent heaters, but think you're likely right that a fair portion of the heat will be sucked up by the grate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!