Dust cloud from the Sahara Desert - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 06-29-2020, 12:51 AM   #1
WebSlave
Exclamation Dust cloud from the Sahara Desert

Yeah, like we NEED something else going on right now.

Anyway, both Connie and I have been feeling a bit of a scratchy throat lately, and sneezing more than normal. What with this coronavirus thing going on and being bitten up by mosquitoes lately, gets the mind to going off on uncomfortable tangents sometimes. But maybe, just maybe, this could be the cause of what we have been feeling.

Massive Saharan Dust Cloud Is Moving Across The US Turning Skies Strange Colors

I just checked my temperature and blood oxygen level, and all is good, so yeah, this seems reasonable to me. Seems like there is a LOT of dust in the air because of this and both Connie and I have been spending some time outside. Can't actually see the dust, but the skies do seem to be quite hazy and not as blue as they should be.

Actually carrying the handheld bug zappers whenever we go outside, and sometimes we can get into a pretty fierce battle with those blood suckers and it is kind of a workout. Which, of course, elevates our breathing, and works up quite a sweat. We do get bitten now and again, but we send a LOT of them to mosquito heaven as a trade.

Of course, just seems that if it isn't one thing it is another. And I don't even want to dwell too much on the ant problem going on all over the yard. Connie has been doing battle with them using a mixture of sugar and Borax which does seem to be turning that tide. Fortunately they aren't in the house, yet, but with the numbers we are seeing everywhere, it was just going to be a matter of time. That could wind up being a BIG problem if we don't nip this now.

Anyway, if you live anywhere in the track of this dust storm, you might want to be aware of it if you start getting respiratory problems over the past few and next several days.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:24 AM   #2
Randall Turner
Here half the family has scratchy throats which only got worse doing some yard work. Definitely looked hazy here today.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:50 PM   #3
WebSlave
I've noticed that when I get up in the morning, I feel just fine. But after going outside, even for brief spells, my throat starts feeling kind of raw feeling. I guess I should wear a face mask, but heck, I'm reluctant to use them up. No telling when I would be able to get these 3M N95 respirator masks again, nor how long we just might be needing to have them around.

It's been raining about every afternoon the last few days, so I would think that would clear out all the dust in the air via the rain. Or perhaps the dust layer is at the level where it causes the cloud formation and the dust is coming down via the rain.

It is supposed to be laden with good nutrients for plants, so perhaps there is a small silver lining in that cloud. But not sure I am all that keen for making the trade of healthy lungs for healthy plants.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!