I am SO MAD at myself: Lost ball - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-18-2005, 11:33 AM   #1
akaangela
Angry I am SO MAD at myself: Lost ball

Last night I came home after working 18hrs. It was feeding time so I decided to offer my new 1595g male ball a rat. I laid down on the sofa (I live in a 5th wheel) to see if he would eat it. I must have dropped off to sleep and when I woke up the rat was still there. So I fetched the rat out and put him back in his cage and went to bed. I totaly spaced putting the clips back on the lid This moring I got up and he was gone. Now I have looked everywhere that I can fit my head in. It is frezing at night so I hope he didnt go outside. He is a big fellow. He was in a big tank up on some shelvs (about 29" high) and the tank is 20" high. There is not much room in my trailer and I Have locked up every excape route I can think of. My trailer is drafty and I am darned if I can find him. I have made a lot of noise moving things around trying to find him. WHat is the chance he will go outside during the day when it is warm? IF he stays inside I hope I can find him. I have torn the place apart and can not find him. I do have a cat but she wont even touch the mice when they excape so I hope she dosent try to tangle with him My dog has been trained not to mess with little critters (I don't know if he would consider a snake a little critter as he is as big around as my wrist). I am SO mad at myself. I had a LOT of plans for this boy. I have put a hide box out by the heater (I don't have a heating pad, I will get one today) Should I keep looking or quit making noise, kick the cat out and pray for the best? I really am SO mad at myself. I am usually SO careful with making sure the clips are on the cage. Feel free to kick me

Old 02-18-2005, 01:45 PM   #2
CrittersWild
lost ball

Best thing to do is use a flashlight and wait for him at night...They dont really move alot in the daytime. But at night they are all over the place.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
newtosnakes
YOUR IN LUCK!!!

I was taking my new ball to the vets office the other day and I had him in the bag that I brought him home in when I bought him. He escaped in the car and I looked EVERYWHERE!!! I looked for 2 days and couldnt find him. I figured since it was his eating day that I would just put a mouse in a shallow tupperware and put it on the floorboard of the car overnight and when he smelled it he would eat and then he would go in the hide I provied. WRONG. He didnt touch the mouse, I strained my back and my brain trying to find Monty(clever huh, Monty Python...haha, british humor slays me). So on the second day when I couldnt find him and he hadnt touched the mouse, I took everything out of the car and I layed a shallow tupperware full of warm water on the floorboard and went inside to play NCAA05(cause im addicted)...I came out 15 minutes later and there he was, hanging out in the waterbowl.

So, my suggestion to you is since when snakes do escape they normally dont go very far(I have read most are found within 15ft. of where they are kept), is to get a couple of shallow tupperware trays, about 20" long and 8" wide, they are like 2 dollars at walmart. Fill them about 2" full with room temp. or warm water, and then just dont make any noise, kick the cat and the dog out, and then just sit down and turn the tv on low and occupy yourself and try not to make too much noise. When he realizes how dry it is in a cold house(or trailer) he will try to find some water and hopefully he will find the water you provide for him

I hope this works for you, let me know if you need any other suggestions!!!

- Sloan

Old 02-18-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
newtosnakes
Yeah, I forgot to mention, after you fill the tupperware trays, put them on the floor by any little nooks or anything like that, but im sure you would have figured that out!

Happy Hunting!!!

- Sloan

Old 02-18-2005, 10:44 PM   #5
akaangela
Talking Happy happy happy, but a bit worried

Well I am very happy as I found him . What ever he got into part of his belly is a bit pink and he was very hot. I held him for a long time and most of the pinkness went away, as he cooled down. I am not sure what he was against but it must have been hot. Should I just put him in his cage and let him settle down and check his belly now and again or should I put some lotion on it or should I take him to the vets or should I put some neosporin on it???? It defently looks like he got way to close to something hot. BUT I AM SO GLAD I FOUND HIM :P

Old 02-18-2005, 11:54 PM   #6
Spirit
Goodness!! HOORAY FOR FOUND SNAKES! One of my ex coworkers would always complain that she couldn't remember if she locked the door when she left work, so often I'd have to drive over to check for her (she took the bus). Of course it was always locked, but thanks to her neurosity (neurosis?), I now find myself doing exactly that with my snakes. "OMG, did I remember to close the lid???"

Blame her. It's easier. lol

As for your snake, just keep an eye on her. I can't advise on burns, but I do know that if it is a burn, it will get worse. Congrats on finding him and I hope he's okay!

Old 02-19-2005, 02:13 AM   #7
BrianB
If the belly is just a light shade of pink, it may be pre-shed pinkness. If so, it should clear up, and he should be going opaque soon enough. For now, just let him settle back in, and keep an eye on him. I'd go ahead and make a vet appointment for a checkup. Chances are the vet will make you wait several days. If the belly clears up (or he goes opaque) before the visit, then you can cancel if you want. If it's still pink, or gets worse, then go ahead and get yourself some piece of mind.

Old 02-19-2005, 02:14 AM   #8
BrianB
If you do want to put some ointment on it, you can use the neosporin (or generic triple biotic) without the pain relief in it. It won't hurt him either way.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!