Mountain Horned Dragon problems? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
skelley493
Mountain Horned Dragon problems?

I recently acquired a male mountain horned dragon from the pet store two days ago. Every since I brought him home he hasn't moved much and when I offer him earthworms and crickets he doesn't want to eat them. i'm fairly certain that I've created an ideal environment for him and the temperature and humidity levels are fine.

How can I make him eat and be less afraid of me?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
RCK-
Time, nothing but time.

I'm assuming this is probably a wild caught MHD, as most from the pet store are. If possible get into a vet to have a fecal sample tested for parasites.

Humidity should be around 80%, (mist the enclosure in the morning and evening), temperatures should be between 68-80F (Over 84F can be deadly).

Make sure you have MOVING water (air stone works).

Once all those criteria a met, just give him about a week to settle in, some take longer. We have 3 that we've had over a month and still will not eat if anyone is within 50ft, where as others will eat soon as you dump them in.

Typically speaking, it takes about 2 weeks for a dragon to settle into there new home.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:16 AM   #3
BrianB
You might also try giving him a little privacy. Block his view of the room while he settles in.

That's worked for me getting beardies and leos who were shy get used to their new surroundings.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!