U.S. set to approve python ban - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by full_metal97 View Post
Similar to the State of Hawaii ban of exportation of Jackson chameleons. The state government thought that by banning the export their local population would decrease. Would love to see some current statistical data on that project.

The reasoning behind the Hawaii ban of exporting Jackson's chameleons (as I understand it) was that if you take away the financial incentive for anyone to promote the animals existence people will not be so inclined to take steps to keep them alive. In other words, if they have no dollar value people won't propagate them. I'm not sure if it has worked or not but I can somewhat understand the reasoning.

I can not understand the reasoning behind the constrictor law. Make them illegal to import, OK so no new ones can be brought into the country. Make them illegal to transport across state lines, Ok so no new ones can be brought into the state. What about the hundreds upon thousands that are produced and sold WITHIN the state? Florida breeders can still produce and sell within Florida right (as long as the other laws are obeyed) A guy in Wisconsin can still buy and sell withing the state of Wisconsin Right? All the law does is succeed in reducing the number of people you can buy your snakes from as now they all have to reside within your state. Or am I missing something here.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
Lair of Dragons
Look at it like this...

Most of the sales of a breeder are done over the internet and most snakes are shipped out of State. I would say that at least 70% of my business is done out of the sate of PA. Why? I can walk out my door and with in a 20 mile radius there are about 10 breeders of Ball Pythons. Now consider that it takes me 20 Ball Pythons to produce 100 babies but you can get the same number with three Burms.
The amount of babies they produce will saturate the market so fast in a State that you will run out of customers. Very few people buy large snakes as pets....there bought for breeding...and now you cant sell them out of state then what is the point.
Pay attention to the news in your state over the next couple of months you are going to hear about more large snake sightings then ever before. Most rescues are full nationwide so owners of a large pet snakes will let it go before they turn it over. Why? They cant sell it out of state.
Travis
Lair of Dragons

Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
full_metal97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
The reasoning behind the Hawaii ban of exporting Jackson's chameleons (as I understand it) was that if you take away the financial incentive for anyone to promote the animals existence people will not be so inclined to take steps to keep them alive. In other words, if they have no dollar value people won't propagate them. I'm not sure if it has worked or not but I can somewhat understand the reasoning.

I can not understand the reasoning behind the constrictor law. Make them illegal to import, OK so no new ones can be brought into the country. Make them illegal to transport across state lines, Ok so no new ones can be brought into the state. What about the hundreds upon thousands that are produced and sold WITHIN the state? Florida breeders can still produce and sell within Florida right (as long as the other laws are obeyed) A guy in Wisconsin can still buy and sell withing the state of Wisconsin Right? All the law does is succeed in reducing the number of people you can buy your snakes from as now they all have to reside within your state. Or am I missing something here.
Jackson's are more plentiful than ever on Oahu.

Back to the subject. I'm located in Florida, though I have not owned a Burmese in about seven years. Currently Florida restricts the large pythons (happened 1.5yrs ago I believe). As a hobbyist you must have had the snake before the restriction went into place and you can not obtain more nor transfer the ones you have permits for. I inquired about how many were issued and just a little over 100 were ever issued. If you owned prior to that date, but failed to obtain a permit you can not retroactively apply.

Based on that number there are only 100 hobbyists within Florida who are permitted to possess these animals now. They can not transfer or obtain more. I don't know how this federal ban expands what we already have. Maybe those who breed commercially are bound by a different standard.

Matt

Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #14
Ntyvirus
Florida breeders are completely screwed if im interpreting the laws correctly. You cant get a license t posses the big burms unless you are a breeder, zoological facility, or doing research unless u had the snake prior to the initial licensing change. And if im understanding the new ban correctly now they cant be sold out of state either? Sounds like a whole mess of people just got boned by this new piece of legislation. Just double checking, is interstate trade under the lacey act, thus making transportation over state lines a felony?

Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
Lair of Dragons
You are correct...across state lines is a Class 1 Misdemeanor...
Travis
Lair of Dragons

Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #16
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by full_metal97 View Post
Jackson's are more plentiful than ever on Oahu.

Back to the subject. I'm located in Florida, though I have not owned a Burmese in about seven years. Currently Florida restricts the large pythons (happened 1.5yrs ago I believe). As a hobbyist you must have had the snake before the restriction went into place and you can not obtain more nor transfer the ones you have permits for. I inquired about how many were issued and just a little over 100 were ever issued. If you owned prior to that date, but failed to obtain a permit you can not retroactively apply.

Based on that number there are only 100 hobbyists within Florida who are permitted to possess these animals now. They can not transfer or obtain more. I don't know how this federal ban expands what we already have. Maybe those who breed commercially are bound by a different standard.

Matt
I didn't think the Hawaii idea would work but I do think that was the rationale behind it or at least part of it.

I was aware of the restrictions and permits in Florida but I thought the average guy could still get one of the big snakes if he applied for and obtained a permit. I was not aware that it was so strict. As far as Florida goes it would seem that they have addressed their problem, or at least attempted to address it, as a state as it should be.

Like you, I fail to see how this federal ban will have any affect on the problem that Florida is having, if it is indeed a problem.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #17
R. Eventide
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
I was aware of the restrictions and permits in Florida but I thought the average guy could still get one of the big snakes if he applied for and obtained a permit. I was not aware that it was so strict. As far as Florida goes it would seem that they have addressed their problem, or at least attempted to address it, as a state as it should be.

Like you, I fail to see how this federal ban will have any affect on the problem that Florida is having, if it is indeed a problem.
I thought so, too. Guess not.

Sadly, the only reason the entire country has to deal with this crap of legislation is because of that dratted USGS paper. What's most ironic is that if the climate does get so bad that Burms can exist in the southern U.S., their precious Everglades will be entirely under water, as will a lot of the large coastal cities. Methinks we'll all have bigger things to worry about than a handful of snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!