tiel abadoned eggs? help please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
kels451
tiel abadoned eggs? help please

Our cockatiel layed her first clutch of eggs recently, much to our delight. After candling, we determined all five were fertile. Mom was being a good mother constantly sitting and tending to her eggs. However, we are within a few days of the first hatching date and it appears she has possibly abandoned them. Yesterday she didn't sit on them until evening. This morning she was off of them again. We are so heartbroken. Do you think this is normal? Anything we can do to help? Was going to get an incubator if necessary...What do you think?

Old 07-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
Lucille
My tiel has done that. Some tiels are just not good parents.
Here is a good site that has people who will explain and give advice if you are going to try to hatch them out yourself: www.upatsix.com

Old 07-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by kels451
Our cockatiel layed her first clutch of eggs recently, much to our delight. After candling, we determined all five were fertile. Mom was being a good mother constantly sitting and tending to her eggs. However, we are within a few days of the first hatching date and it appears she has possibly abandoned them. Yesterday she didn't sit on them until evening. This morning she was off of them again. We are so heartbroken. Do you think this is normal? Anything we can do to help? Was going to get an incubator if necessary...What do you think?
How long has she been incubating?

Best

Old 07-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
kels451
She has been incubating for about 14 days. I candled them today and saw movement in four of the five eggs, so they are still viable. I did go and get an incubator. Getting it set up now. Just not sure I want to remove the eggs from the mom if not necessary.

Question: If I do put them in an incubator, is it possible to put them back into the nest for her after hatching???

Old 07-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by kels451
She has been incubating for about 14 days. I candled them today and saw movement in four of the five eggs, so they are still viable. I did go and get an incubator. Getting it set up now. Just not sure I want to remove the eggs from the mom if not necessary.

Question: If I do put them in an incubator, is it possible to put them back into the nest for her after hatching???
There are people that have done it, although it may depend on individual birds. You have one more week to go; it would be nice if you had a few "fake eggs" to leave in the nest. Years ago eggs made of wood were available, I don't know now.

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #6
Cat_Eyed_Lady
How warm is it inside the nesting box?? Maybe it is warm enough that she doesnt think she needs to sit 24/7. Sometimes a first time female will get tired of sitting. You can incubate them but make sure to turn them about 4-6 times a day or they will not make it. Also, is the male feeding her? if he is, is he feeding her enough?? Maybe part of it is that she isnt getting him to feed her enough and she doesnt feel secure in bringing babies into the nest just to have to do it all herself? I have breeding tiels for about 20 years. There are some females that will do this a few days at about this time and then after a few days they go back to sitting. If this is the case, she will still turn them but will take this break before sitting again and then go on to raise a good clutch of babies. I wish you the best of luck and will watch for updates

Old 07-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
kels451
We wondered too if she thought it was warm enough in the day. We've had a digital thermometer set up and during the day its been around 80 to 85 degrees F.
After two days of her not sitting, we decided to move them to an incubator. I know what I've got myself into and am committed to it. Been doing a lot of research just to make sure everything will be just perfect after they are born. We should have hatching begin this weekend. Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks so much for everyone's help, suggestions, advice...You are wonderful!

Old 07-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Cat_Eyed_Lady
Just remember that the last day or so to stop turning the eggs I did some day one white face and I fed them every hour day and night for quite some time but in the end it was worth it

What kind of formula will you be useing?? Just me being curious

Old 07-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
kels451
We will be using Roudybush for their formula. Cross your fingers and say a prayer. I know nature "takes its course", but I also believe in giving them every chance I can possibly provide--the animal lover in me :->

Oh, and yes, the issue with the father...he basically stunk. He pecked at her while she was on the nest and wouldn't let her alone, so we removed him early on. That didn't appear to bother her...she stayed on the nest and did her duties. But, like you said, she may have gotten tired of trying to do it all herself. I know I would!

Old 07-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
kels451
What type of formula do you all use? I've read so many different suggestions...do you have a particular reason for using it? Thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!