tooth abscess??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
stevek123
tooth abscess???

I just acquired this girl two months ago, eating f/t rats fine. Never noticed any issues. And I was getting ready to take her out of quarantine and noticed this lump under her chin. I think it's a tooth abscess but I have never personally seen this. The inside of her mouth looks OK but is raised on the same side the lump is on. Can I treat this myself? Does this require a trip to the vet?
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Snake-Queen
I'd take her to a vet, especially as the inside of her mouth looks normal.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
snowgyre
Definitely a trip to the vet. Any injury or abscess on the face should be treated very seriously, as infection can easily spread to the jaw bones. If that happens, treatment is extremely difficult or even impossible.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
phoenix-cry
Yeah, it looks like a tooth ab and that means a trip to a herp vet. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
stevek123
I just got back from the Vet.

They wanted to take a small sample of the abscess and have me come back to do an operation and possible anesthesia. I said I didn't think that was necessary and would be more stressful for the girl, and that we should just open the abscess now take out any puss and clean it. So I held her while Dr. Sarah cut into the abscess. Some brownish material came out, a little blood, and she cleaned it up good with a chlorahexadine solution. She administered oral Baytril.

The girl is back home. 14 day Rehabb... oral bayatril once a day with a wound cleaning using diluted chlorahexidine 1-2 times a day. Cost for the visit $94.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
snakesRkewl
Not too awful bad Steve, we had the same thing happen to one of our big girls, $115 later ...
But was well worth it, got her fixed up and she dropped a nice clutch for us months later after healing up.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
R. Eventide
Actually, that looks almost exactly like what happened to two of my girls who kept pushing and pushing against their tubs, trying to get out. They injured their noses doing that, and at the same time, an abscess like what you pictured formed as well. Once they stopped pushing, their abscesses and noses healed up on their own.

I'm glad it doesn't seem to be anything serious!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!