Buying Yellow Anacondas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
Eden Exotics
Buying Yellow Anacondas

So what exactly is the deal with these? I heard that you can't have any "interstate commerce." So does that mean I couldn't drive to another state to buy one (I live in MT and I highly doubt I could get one here)? I'm sorry, but how could they prove that I got it in a different state? Do I need to fill out some form that proves that I bought it in my state?
Do you think there's any hope of this changing in the future? I guess it was the Obama administration that pushed this whole "injurious species" bs...

Old 12-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
hhmoore
You could, but you'd be violating Federal law.
Sure you could get away with it... Or you could find out that the person you are talking to is a Fed. Worth the risk? That's up to you.
You're not new to this site - why didn't you purchase before the law went into effect, when you could have done it legally and conveniently.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Eden Exotics
It seemed to me that it wasn't going to actually pass...it seemed so ridiculous. So I guess there's absolutely no way I could get one unless I move or they change the law? Does anyone know if USARK is trying to get it repealed?

Old 12-04-2014, 02:50 AM   #4
Snakesitter
US ARK is working on a lawsuit...and has been for quite some time. In fact, as I recall, they are raising funds for that suit, and someone interested in seeing the law overturned, you might think about tossing a few bucks their way. Details are on their site.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
Eden Exotics
Yeah definitely. If only I had money
I was thinking of selling some of my stock sometime as a bit of a fundraiser for them...
But yeah, so there aren't any specific forms you need for these as far as anyone knows?

Old 12-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
hhmoore
Once they're in your possession, it would be nice to think that there is no reason to come under their scrutiny. However, if an investigation occurs, it would be in your best interest to be able to definitively prove that the animals were not illegally acquired.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
If you have one and you are questioned on it, you might need to show a proof of sale that shows you got it in your state? It would be best to check with your state offices to find out if any forms are needed.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=22333

Do you have any reptile societies in your area? Maybe they can point you to a local breeder? Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreat View Post
I guess it was the Obama administration that pushed this whole "injurious species" bs...
No, more like the HSUS and politicians in Florida like Tom Rooney.
There have been some discussions about USARK and this law in general under the legislative discussions forums if you wanted to check those out:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...play.php?f=456
Specifically this thread:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=324805

Old 12-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Eden Exotics
Haha you've obviously never been in Montana
Yeah if I did get one, it probably would be quite a ways into the future. They are definitely one of the top things on my want list though. I was just curious about what this law entails. Hopefully it will change in the future...
I'm curious, which political party do you think is the most supportive of pet owners? Obviously the Libertarians, but I'm thinking between Democrats and Republicans. I'm an Environmental Studies major, so I will probably work for an agency like the FWS, but I totally get the frustration of all the environmental regulations going on these days...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!