bitten by a hog - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-17-2006, 01:38 AM   #1
ladyserpent7
Question bitten by a hog

just wondering.......has anyone ever been bitten by a hognose before...or chewed on.....what did you do? did it hurt?

Old 04-17-2006, 03:59 AM   #2
PaulSage
My hog tried to bite me a few times, but he'd only make a threatening strike. I never felt teeth or anything, and I don't really remember if he ever made contact at all. He was such a bluffer. lol He'd mostly hiss out of one end and piss out the other.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:03 AM   #3
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyserpent7
just wondering.......has anyone ever been bitten by a hognose before...or chewed on.....what did you do? did it hurt?
I've got to say that I don't remember...it would seem that I must have, because we had them at the shop, and I remember forcefeeding a few til we could get toads. Hmmmmmmm, I'm going to guess that I did not...I would have remembered (I'm good like that, lol). But I can answer the rest of them anyway: I wouldn't have sat there and let it chew on me...that is a privilege reserved for varanids (I have been known to let other things bite and hold on, though). I would have done nothing (small mammals that bite me get whacked, reptiles are forgiven that indiscretion). It would not have hurt.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:34 AM   #4
wcreptiles
Here's a pictorial of someone bitten by a western hognose, I believe he let him chew for 3 to 5 minutes on purpose to see the results.

http://www.herpnet.net/bite/

Old 04-17-2006, 06:58 AM   #5
hhmoore
I've seen that...isn't it interesting what some people will do to themselves in the name of "science", lol.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:50 AM   #6
ladyserpent7
omg wow....shouldnt he have gone to the hospital or something...his whole ARM was swollen...yeesh...but have you guys noticed that whatever theyre doing (hogs) theyre always the cutest things ...

Old 04-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
snakester
I got bit bye my Eastern Hog because of a feeding response.
It got me on my hand and hung on for less than 1 min. I washed out the bite with soap and water and never had any swelling or any thing else.
It did not realy hurt much but I have been bitten by quite a few snakes so I am starting to get use to it!
the worst bite I have had was a 5' corn snake that would not let go for about 5 mins! it got my finger and thought it had a rat!

Most of the time my Eastern Hognose would strike with it's mouth closed. and just hiss a lot.

Snakester's Reptiles.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:22 PM   #8
varnyard
The western hogs are known to have a real bad bite (for a non-venomous). The Eastern don't seem to pack the same punch in their bite. Hognose snakes are not constrictors, rather, they are rear-fanged and possess mild venom. Their venom is not known to be toxic to humans. But as shown in the link, it does have a definite affect on us. As the old saying goes, all snakes are venomous, it's just the ones that have no, or little affect on humans that are called non-venomous.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:19 AM   #9
ladyserpent7
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
As the old saying goes, all snakes are venomous, it's just the ones that have no, or little affect on humans that are called non-venomous.
ive never heard that before...i dont get it.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #10
varnyard
Rana, it is 100% true. All snakes are. Some people can get bit by a grass snake and have a bad reaction. It is in every snake's saliva. It is Just that most non-venomous have no, to little affect on humans. This helps snakes digest their food. The venom causes tissue damage and begins the digestive process. Sometimes this venom can be quite dangerous in species like cobras, rattlesnakes, kraits, vipers, and sea snakes. There are approximately 300 snake species that are considered extremely dangerous to humans, although toxic elements can be found in the saliva of many species considered nonvenomous.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!