Hovabators? Trash or Treasure? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 10-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
Heart and Soul Reptiles
well, it seemed to do it's job for this year. But I still say I will need a larger unit for next year.
I had more trouble with my hatch medium than I did with the hovabator once I figured out when you back it up with another thermostat you need to take the circle one out
My Hatchrite bag had a hole in it, which was unknown to me, so I almost lost the clutch because it ws too dry.
Mixed it with some vermiculite in the last 3 days and well.. you be the judge from the pictures
So I think I've come to the conclusion, with the right back up thermostat, and the correct hatch medium that isn't too dry, if you're only hatching one or 2 clutches of ball python eggs, it should do the job!

Old 10-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #12
Heart and Soul Reptiles
*30 days, not 3 lol

Old 10-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #13
WingedWolf
I have to say, it's well-insulated, and the heat element works very well to maintain stable temperatures. The wafer thermostat isn't something anyone recommends using, and of course, it would be easy to lose clutches if you rely on a simple wafer thermostat--but with a good proportional thermostat hooked up to it, it's quite a good incubator for the price. It will hold 2 clutches of ball pythons, provided you don't put them in seperate containers (fill the base with hatching medium). You may need to add water once or twice.
I actually use this tabletop model with the viewing window FOR my most valuable clutches, because it maintains the temperatures so exactly with a Herpstat hooked up to it.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #14
R. Eventide
Hmm. I was going to get one or two of these as temporary incubators until I need more room. How does one modify the Hovabator to use a proportional thermostat instead of the built-in one?

Old 10-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #15
Chance
Wow, just ran across an ad on the banner to the side of the forum page after I saw this thread and thought it was interesting.

See any similarities between these two items?
http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/6ad2/
http://www.reptipro.com/supplies/inc...incubator.html

There is only a slight increase in the interior volume of the ReptiPro incubator if I'm reading it correctly, but the price is phenomenally different.... $99 for the Mini Fridge/Warmer and $249.97 for the ReptiPro Incubator. I have nothing against ReptiPro but as a consumer advocate I can't help but mention what appears to me to be a kinda glaring ripoff based on a supposed "reptile specific" product. This of course isn't the only example of a company really sticking it to the public because they think they're offering a niche product to a nice market. It's just disgustingly humorous to see such an example laid bare here on Fauna.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #16
JeffG
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Eventide View Post
How does one modify the Hovabator to use a proportional thermostat instead of the built-in one?

I noticed the same thing with the mini fridge... huge price difference. I just purchased my hovabator. I can get a zilla thermostat dirt cheap but would have no idea on how to hook it up.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
Heart and Soul Reptiles
All you do is remove the wafer thermostat, put the probe for the other one on the inside of the incubator, and plug the incubator into the thermostat. Set the temperature and plug the thermostat into the wall.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #18
JeffG
Thanks Kylie, Didnt realize it was so ridiculously simple!

Old 10-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #19
R. Eventide
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
Thanks Kylie, Didnt realize it was so ridiculously simple!
Ditto! Thank you, Kylie!

Old 10-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #20
mohsin
I used hovabators too but had a problem with them. Soon i realized that my hovabator was not up to the mark as it should be. I asked a few friends and then bought a new hovabator for my farm. As i have diversified from this all, i do not know which ones are better and whether to use them now or not. You can visit agriculturedir.com and thepetsdir.com if you want to. Hope this provides you the information which you are looking for.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
hovabator, incubator