Well this just pissed me off - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
SPJ
Well this just pissed me off

That just rubbed me the wrong way.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d=1#post566331

Old 12-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
shrap
Dont let that bother you Steve. Those things are a joke. They would not hold but maybe 15 Ball eggs and they want $500 for it. IMHO, those are nothing more than a way to rip off the uninformed.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
SPJ
Looks like the styro incubators again this time. LOL.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Gary O
I build all my own icubators. It is funny when a person looks at me when I say that at a show. They are like so and so uses this. All I can say is I get a very high percent hatch rate except for Mangrove eggs.(do not laugh at me lol)

Ball Python Eggs I get 100%

If anyone is interested in the way I do it just let me know.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
SPJ
Nothing wrong with making your own.
The styro box insert on propak shipping boxes work.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I wouldn't mind seeing Gary. I built my own a couple years ago out of an ice chest~ works great. Now I've got a nice soda fridge I'm working on~ and I can't seem to move onto the next step as I can decide what type of heat to use~
I've got heat cable~ could run it zig-zag up the back
I've got 3" heat tape~ could run 3 or 4 strips of it up the back~ maybe on the side walls? (front is all glass)
I've got 11' heat tape~ I could run two columns up the back and maybe a length of the 3" up each side?

I never really figured the fan thing out on my ice chest incubator~ it actually works better WITHOUT a fan~ but I suspect I need one on the soda fridge~

So if your feeling like sharing~ lets see your ideas~ I'm working on another incubator right now!
Thanks!

Old 12-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #7
hhmoore
I'm all for sharing ideas...but Sound Off probably isn't the best place for DIY incubator discussions, lol. How about Feed/Caging/Supplies or General Herp Talk?

Old 12-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
Gary O
On my way to start the thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I'll follow~ thanks!

Old 12-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
Clay Davenport
You should have copied the text of the ad to your post Steve. Juragon deleted the ad, and the reason they gave was "rude replies".

They have been contacting people about becoming dealers and such for these units, I was one of the ones they contacted. A non solicited contact I might ad.
I'll copy what they wrote in their email and my reply below.

Their email to me:
Quote:
Clay,

Kemp's Reptile Incubators is proud to offer a great Reptile Egg Incubator that replicates Mother Nature! Until now, reptile incubators with the features of the New JURAGON have never been available. The JURAGON KR20 Replicates daily temperature fluctuations that occur when the sun is at it's warmest during the day as well as the lower evening and night temperatures. It also precisely regulates the temperature & humidity and regulates many other advanced hatching conditions. Easy to use for beginners and also designed for the most advanced reptile breeders, biologists and zoos.

We'd love to have your company distribute and/or retail this new incubator for us and we are offering a great wholesale price. We are also offering an extra discount on the first order you'd place during our initial product release period from now until December 30th 2007. We introduced the new JURAGON incubator at the large NARBC Reptile show http://www.narbc.com/ on September 8th & 9th in Anaheim, Ca. and are beginning advertising in the most popular reptile resources.

Features include multiple, preset hatching choices from the menu for various species and also easy, manual programming of temperature, humidity and other conditions for advanced breeders. You will easily hatch reptiles with this unit. Hatching mostly male, mostly female or both male & female reptiles has never been easier. Designed for Geckos, Chameleons, Turtles, Snakes, Bearded Dragon Lizards, Iguanas, Tortoises, Crocodiles, Alligators and all other reptiles. We are confident that you will love the New JURAGON Reptile Incubator.

If you'd like to become a dealer or have further questions please call me at 888-901-2473. This would be a great addition to your reptile supply line. Beginning in January 2008 we will begin listing all dealers on our web site and in most advertising media.

Sincerely,
David Kemp

Kemp's brings you the latest in a Great Digital, Microprocessor Controlled Reptile Egg Incubator.
Check out these Features!

· Designed for beginners and serious breeders who require the best!
· Max. Approx. Capacities:
· 40 smaller Turtle eggs
· 60 Medium Snake eggs
· Over 100 Gecko or Lizard eggs.
· 75°F to 104°F automatic temp control.
· Humidity control is automatic with Digital Settings!
· Optimum conditions of incubation.
· LCD shows all information.
· Large view window to observe.
· Automatic low-level water alarm.
· Robust hygienic plastic construction
· Type: Model KR20
· Power: 100 to 120 VAC, 50-60 Hz
· Large Size: L 19", W 16", H 6"
· Material: Sturdy ABS Plastic
· Shipping Weight: about 16 pounds
· Net Weight: about 14 lbs
· Power Consumption: Average of 60W
· 12 month guarantee

Kemp's Reptile Incubators®, A Division of WireLink
Eugene, Oregon USA -- http://www.ReptileIncubator.com
Copyright 1995-2007, All Rights Reserved
Serving the needs of Avian & Reptile Breeders Since 1995
For a dealer or distributor near you call us Toll Free at (888) 901-2473

Download a full color sales brochure at:
http://www.reptileincubator.us/JuragonKR20Brochure.pdf
And my reply:
Quote:
I have no interest in becoming a supplier for that product. I couldn't imagine trying to sell something that I would never consider buying myself.
I was shown a link to this product back in June, when the URL was http://www.geckoincubator.com/, and was asked for opinions on it. I laughed when I saw the price tag.
Someone would have to be completely foolish to buy a product like that to incubate reptile eggs. Any you sell will be to those who are complete neophytes to the hobby and do not know any better.
The size is the first problem. It's too small to be of any use to all but the smallest breeding operations. I don't know what you consider "medium snake eggs" but there's no way you can pack 60 of what I consider medium eggs into that space.
The second problem is the unit itself is the incubation container. This makes the unit useless for the incubation of multiple clutches. Once the eggs hatch, you have no way of tracking bloodlines, and even worse, if the breedings involved the production of animals that are heterozygous for recessive traits, it would make it completely impossible to know the genetics of any of the hatchlings.

All in all this is a very ill thought out product, and I would be very surprised of the designers of it actually breed reptiles. To be brutally honest, I consider it one of, if not the largest potential wastes of money to be introduced to the herpetocultural hobby in my memory.
I can't think of one experienced breeder who would even consider buying one of these units.
Your description of the product attempts to make the process of hatching reptiles eggs sound like a difficult and very precise process. The fact is it is not. The process of incubation is actually the most simple part of breeding reptiles and a completely usable and extremely reliable incubator many times larger can be built for 1/10th of what you are advertising these units for.
I hope your company produces other products besides this line of incubators.

Clay Davenport
http://www.arbreptiles.com
I never received any further correspondence from them. I've seen a lot of stupid and completely useless products introduced to the hobby as it has become more and more mainstream, all in an attempt to cash in on the reptile craze.
In my opinion though this one, due to it's exorbitant price and the ease of which one could make a suitable device themselves, makes it rank very close to the top of the list. It's a poorly thought out product and I would state without reservation that in my opinion you'd be utterly foolish to purchase one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!