For Sale 1.1 Hypo Beardie Pair CHEAP! Back up for sale! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Bearded Dragons

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:56 AM   #11
Terrasque
I just recently got them from my friend who couldn't take care of them. They were in worse shape than this when I received them. I'm trying to fatten them up and get them healthy again, but I don't know much about their diet and I want to get them to someone who can help them asap. My friend told me they were breedable, so as far as I know they should be.
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #12
angie.h
Here are some tips to fatten them up...all dragons need nutritious greens,turnip,collard mustard greens.These might be things you've never had to buy before but it well help your dragons tremendously.As for the skinny one,give it live food[ if he has no appetite you're in trouble]more than once a day,,,crickets+ superworms at least twice a day.If he has an appetite,he will eat them.Breaking the meals up will keep him from gorging + vomiting but he needs a LOT of food.As for being breedable if it were the female that was that thin she would probably die a slow death if she were that thin and became gravid.It would take all the nutrition away from her to form the eggs.Well,at least the thin one looks alert...that is a big plus.If they are dehydrated,you can spray their head with water bottle gently and they will usually drink.You can also soak in about 2 inches of water[lukewarm and not at night so they don't get chilled if wet when lights go out] Hope this helps wish all the best for you and the dragons..!!

Old 08-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #13
Terrasque
K, thanks for all the advice! I will definitely get started on getting them some good veggies. I'm keeping them separated now, mostly because the female has some open wounds that are still healing. My friend didn't tell me what happened to her but I suspect it's because of the male's aggression. Anyway, is there anything I can put on them to help them heal faster? Thanks, again.
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #14
angie.h
You can use different anti-biotic creams or ointments,I have used unpasteurized honey [ you can find in health-food store],I have read that it;s a natural anti-bacterial and mild anti-biotic...I use it for the occasional mating bite on the back of some females necks.You can dilute a small amount with a tiny amount of warm water and apply with a q-tip.She should be kept on a non-sticking,non-abrasive substrate like newspaper.That honey is actually approved for medicinal purposes for humans in Australia.If her wounds are looking infected...she should be seen by a vet. You can p.m. me if you have any questions about anything....BTW,if you google medicinal honey, it shows that even deep wounds and burns heal faster on animals. I keep editing so it doesn't get bumped to the top but Gina's advice down below is excellent,good explanation of cleaning + importance of hydration.A couple more good things about honey is there are no bad side effects if accidentally ingested and wounds heal more quickly than with anti-biotic creams,according to research

Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
Gina Gauvin
Lightbulb I agree with Angie..

The main thing with wounds is cleanliness. Keep her on papertowel, change daily. Soak daily with shoulder height warm water (about the same temp you'd give a baby a bath in). Soak her in a sink for about 5 minutes and splash her a little or let the faucet drip to get her drinking (If you have liquid calcium spray you can give her a few drops a day at that time she's drinking water (follow directions).
After she's soaked and drank (and eliminated), empty sink, while she's in it (they enjoy playing in water and learn by watching you), add more water (shoulder height).
At that time add Povidone liquid (Generic brand $12. pharmacy), diluting it with water till it looks like weak tea. Try not to get in her eyes or let her drink (hense the first soak, plus it's important to wash out dirt, but only soak, not rub). Use a cotton ball to gently swab wounds with diluted povidone and let her soak about 5 minutes, gently dry.
You can apply triple antibiotic or bacetracin lightly.
If you keep up with keeping her clean, daily baths and soaks, for about 2 weeks it should heal, providing it isn't too deep or infected.
It's also important to maintain a little higher temps (100-110degrees 10hrs, nighttime 75-80, consistantly as well as giving extra calcium and hydration so she doesn't become lethargic. Dehydration lowers appetite.
My first choice would be to bring her to a vet, but if not possible you may have luck with this treatment. I've used it on many injuries on rescues with good results. I wouldn't ship for a few weeks at least.
Pumping up the weight on the male will also help with daily baths and hydration, getting him to drink. Many people don't realize they need to be taught how to drink out of a bowl. They cannot see standing water. Misting the face and then pouring water slowly into a bowl in front of them after they're warmed up, get's them drinking. Use the reptile calcium spray on him as directed also.
You can't go by how healthy a lizard is by it's belly. You look for fatty pads on the head and hip bones should not be raised. Tail base should be rounded. It's nice to know someone caring if taking over!

Good luck!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #16
Terrasque
Thanks Angie and Gina, I really appreciate your guys' help. I don't think I could find better information anywhere. I'll give them both baths tomorrow and see if I can't pick up some honey and Providone. I'll keep you guys updated!
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread