paint for terrarium recommend - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
gabe86
paint for terrarium recommend

looking for a quick answer since i would like to do it this weekend....I would like to know which brand ( a link of the produckt would be perfect) of paint would be safe for the reptiles that non toxic for painting fake rocks, wood etc.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
hotlips
Can't help you with a brand, but suggest you look for one that specifically says "non-toxic", safe for children's nursery & pets when dry, and "NO VOC". VOC stands for "volatile organic compounds"- ie. the toxic off-gassing from the product in question.

Most paints & stains seem dry but continuously leach out (off-gas) tiny amounts of harmful chemicals for a LONG time, which are quite harmful when contained in an animal's cage for them to breathe 24/7. (they aren't good for us either but we're bigger & take longer to get cancer etc)

Anyway, why would you want to 'paint' over natural objects? What I'd do is use a clear water-proofing product to seal them. I don't recall the brand I used, it's been some years, but they DO make safe (no VOC) ones, you have to ask &/or read labels. That way the decor still looks natural but wood withstands the humidity or "reptile output".
Rocks are quite washable just as they are, I wouldn't bother with them, they are easily disinfected.
All these items still have countless crevices that bacteria & contamination can take hold in, of course, but it helps if branches don't absorb moisture & can be washed and disinfected.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
gabe86
Well I have a cork bark and all the lichen have turn brown or just came off. I would like to give it some real nice colors to it to make it look lichen on it. I seen some of the lichen have pink , bluish gray colors to it. This is why I would like the non toxic paint.

So what makes exo terra paint different from any other paint? I have one of there vines. it slowly riping off ( fun stuff and what every color paint they been using on it. I also seen people use Krylon plastic spray can for water. Never seen to have any effect on the fish.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!