Common snapper or ???? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
sschind
Common snapper or ????

I need some help with a turtle my landlord found in one of his units. My initial instinct is that it is a common snapper (Chelydra serpentina) that someone found and decided to keep but the father of the ex tenant says his kid bought it. I know that doesn't eliminate the possibility that it is a common snapper but I am wondering if it might open the door to the possibility of it being one of the other snapping turtle species (C. rossignonii or C. acutirostris) I do not know where it was supposedly bought but I was wondering if the south or central american snappers are available. I'm still 99% convinced it is a C. serpentina as it is the same size as one of mine (5 inch carapace) and looks pretty much identical just a little darker. Do the other snappers have any distinguishing features that might help me ID it.

I don't really want another one as I have 2 already but the way he described it on the phone I thought it might be a sideneck turtle so I told him I'd take it and find it a home (I don't want a sideneck either but it would be easier to find a home for I'm sure)

Anyway, my first step is getting it identified. If pictures would help I can take some but I'm hoping someone can tell me that the central has a big red X on its back and the South American has a blue one or something equally distinguishable. if I do need pictures is there anything I should pay particular attention to?

Note this one has neither a red or blue X so if that would be the case my suspicions are confirmed and it is a common snapper.

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #2
Dyscophus antongilii
Can you please post a picture?

Thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!