Teach Me Your Ways - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #1
demonss
Arrow Teach Me Your Ways

Hi all, I am looking into getting a cbb ATB, I'm finding a lot of differing info online about care requirements and figured it would be best to hear from the keepers themselves. First, screen lids, yes or no? Could I use a 40 Gallon breeder turned on one end with a glass door for the front? What is the perfect substrate for them (preferably something that doesn't mold as my wife is extremely allergic and it's obviously bad for the snake) What is the perfect temp and humidity? It is going to be a display animal probably in my bedroom as my living room would probably be too active with the dogs running around. And finally, would they benefit from a uth as well as a basking light or is it one or the other? Anything I can learn the better. Thank you, Mike.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:22 AM   #2
rryan58
cb ATB

Hi Mike.
Is this ATB an adult?. If it is a baby, then 40 gal tank is way too big. Assuming it is an adult, I wouldn't bother standing the tank upside. Just leave it as is, use a screen, mist once in the AM. ATBs will use a hide, so the UTH will be a good idea. Substrate should be newspaper. Easy to clean. basking light on the other end. 12hrs on/ 12 hrs off. many branches inside. don't forget a lg bowl of water. You will be surprised how easy these snakes are to keep.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
I keep my ATBs in pvc caging, some have screen vents on the top but I usually keep them covered. If you use a tank, you may want to cover the majority of the top (can use a variety of things, plastic wrap, foil, a towel, piece of plexi cut to size) just to try to hold some of the humidity in. As Richard mentioned, you'll want to mist, especially with a screen top, to help with humidity.

For years I've kept my amazons on unprinted newsprint paper and it's worked great. I recently switched out all my ATBs to reptile prime which is similar to any of the crushed wood substrates. I'm just giving it a try to see how it works.

ATBs like crossed perches, the like to sit in the forks of branches or on logs. They will use a regular straight round perch, I usually wrap part of the dowels with fake leaves to give them something to hold onto.

ATBs are great little snakes, quite easy to care for and forgiving of mistakes. They are little biters so just be aware. They like to strike at heat, I keep them away from my face, they may lunge out at your breathe because it's warm. They have a slow 'lazy' strike compared to other snakes so it's generally really easy to avoid getting tagged. Just don't be surprised if it happens.

UTH and/or basking is fine, whatever works for you and keeps the temps good. I keep mine in a heated snake room without supplemental heat (so temps are about 70+ at night and 80-85 during the day).

Most ATBs tend to sleep on the floor or in a hide during the day and then they are out and about in the perches and such in the late afternoon/evening. They make great little display snakes and are super curious. Every time I go into my snake room, all the little ATB faces come up to the front to see what's going on (and if they will get a mouse haha).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!