Nikon D850 camera - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Photography & Videography Techniques and Equipment

Notices

Photography & Videography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical and practical details of how to take good pictures and videos, as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
WebSlave
Nikon D850 camera

So far I am REALLY impressed with this new camera! The closeup images I am getting using my Nikkor micro lenses are way better than I had been expecting.

I've been zooming in looking at cropped 1:1 images and it's pretty remarkable how sharp the images still are at that level. And that is with the camera being hand held! Even with my old shaky hands holding this beast, which weighs a LOT with the flashes and bracket mounted on it.

This is the setup I am using, with the 200mm micro lens attached.

It's quite the hand full trying to hold it all steady while getting the shot. Using the smaller 105mm or 60mm does help a little, but the longer lens is better for shooting something a little further away that is difficult to get closer to. I've had all three of these lenses for years, and only used the 105mm on occasion with my old Fuji camera body when I needed closeups of something or another. This new Nikon D850 camera body beats that old Fuji all to hell and back again in the quality department. And I have barely scratched the surface of what this camera can actually do. Heck, I haven't even been doing any post processing on the photos they are turning out so well. Exposure with the flashes seems pretty much dead on as it is straight from the camera.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:40 AM   #2
WebSlave
I recently got a wide angle zoom lens (15mm to 30mm) for this new camera body and wanted to try it out with something, well, unusual. During Christmas, Connie wanted to put some colored lights out on the palm trees outside of our house, and she decided she liked them enough to just keep them there all year. So I was curious about a number of factors from a photographic slant using this wide angle lens at night. The camera was mounted on a tripod, of course, with the smallest aperture for the best depth of field. Shutter speed was 20 seconds.

The colors look kind of psychedelic. When I zoomed in to see the details, I was pleased with how sharp the image is, even zoomed in to a 1:1 image of the front door.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:32 AM   #3
WebSlave
So the other day, I got the idea to try some close up screw on lenses on my Nikon 105mm Micro lens, thinking I might be able to get even closer macro shots. I wasn't sure how well this would work, because I read some accounts online where some people were claiming that it wouldn't work adequately.

Well, I did crop most of the photos I took, but I do believe I was able to get closer with the screw on macro lenses than I could without them. I used a +1 and +2 ganged together on the lens.

[

Old 04-11-2018, 02:36 AM   #4
WebSlave
And then I tried to get some really close up shots of my sundews...

Old 04-11-2018, 02:45 AM   #5
WebSlave
So, after that, I thought maybe using my 200mm micro lense would give me more working area, since I was having to get really close in to the plants for the above shots. I wasn't sure I had any larger magnifying lenses that would fit the larger lens, so I was rummaging around in the cabinet where I've been storing the old camera stuff I haven't touched in years. I actually did find a set of 67mm magnifying lenses (the 105mm lens uses 52mm), but the 200mm lens uses 62mm filters. I did find some step up rings that I could use, but while pulling out all that stuff out of the cabinet, I spotted a box that I had no idea what it contained. Well I'll be darned! A brand new set up extension tubes for macro work. This will be even better, because I won't have to put any more glass layers between the subject and the image sensor.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to try this yet, because we've had rain all day today. I also think I really should use a tripod, since this rig is quite heavy, and it is very difficult for me to hold it all steady to take the shot. I searched around and found what looks like the perfect tripod for this sort of work, but it will likely take about a week before it shows up here.

Would be nice to actually get some time lapse video of the sundews capturing their insect prey, but unfortunately the AC adapter isn't available for the Nikon D850 body yet. I don't think the battery will run the camera long enough in time lapse to do the job, unfortunately.

I guess I'm getting that camera bug back again. It seems to come and go now and again.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
Randall Turner
That is great. I hope you can find an adapter so you can try time lapsing the sundews, would be really interesting to watch them catching whatever they can lure in.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Turner View Post
That is great. I hope you can find an adapter so you can try time lapsing the sundews, would be really interesting to watch them catching whatever they can lure in.
I've got my name on the list for the adapter, but no telling how long it will be before it becomes available. The camera itself is STILL on backorder from nearly all of the suppliers, as best I can tell. So maybe Nikon isn't putting a lot of priority on the accessories right now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!