Advice on Boiga cynodon - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #1
RowdyDowdy9573
Advice on Boiga cynodon

Looking to get my first species in the genus Boiga. Liking the looks and the temperament (from what I’ve read) of the cynodon. I’m open to other species, and I will be building a large arboreal enclosure for whichever species I end up getting. Anyway, for any of the Boiga keepers/breeders, what would your advice be as for a first Boiga? And any husbandry tips will be extremely helpful as well! Thanks!

Old 04-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
terrylove
First, every snake in the Boiga genus is really cool in my opinion! Second, B. cynodon is not the easiest Boiga species to work with-not even in the top 5!

Take it from me-someone who has inadvertently killed more B cynodon that he cares to admit-they are much more fragile than the Mangrove group of B dendrophilia spp.

I am not trying to discourage you from keeping B cynodon, if that's the species you are excited about. However, I want to emphasize not-all-Boiga-are-created-the-same. A juvenile B. d. melanota for example, has a head like a tank; tough, durable and strong. B. cynodon on the other hand are fragile, lean and delicate.

I would put B. nigriceps and B. cyanea in the "good first Boiga" category. Both are beautiful, highly arboreal, take to rodents well, aren't too temperamental and are resilient captives.

Boiga divergens and latifasciata might be the easiest of all Boiga, but they come with a rather hefty price tag.

Good luck! There's not a lot of information about Boiga spp out there, but those that keep them seem willingly to share what they know!

Sincerely,

Terry

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!