Blackening Toe and Maybe Tail Rot ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
ChewyVuitton
Blackening Toe and Maybe Tail Rot ?

Hello all. I’ve just received a bearded dragon from my good friend for my birthday. He said it was a rescue, and I have no problem with that whatsoever. However, I have noticed that one of its toes is starting to turn a darker color and it looks shriveled up. I think it may be spreading to another toe? I’ll provide pictures below. Also, I noticed the end of the tail seems a little off. It looks a little crooked and a bit dried up. Maybe this is a pre staged tail rot in process? Here are some images! I do have an appointment at an animal hospital on Friday. The only doctor near town that was certified in reptiles. https://imgur.com/gallery/VIyJm

Old 04-19-2018, 01:05 AM   #2
hotlips
Pretty dragon, but rotten toes are out of my league...I hope the vet can help him, I'd be concerned too. That one toe (at least) may need to be amputated. Hard to tell about the tail tip from here. I don't think the loss of a toe or 2 will be a big deal for a dragon, as long as there's no systemic infection; many such injuries occur when people raise beardies in a large group, or even kept a few together...they sometimes bite each other with a resulting loss of limbs- it could be much worse.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:53 AM   #3
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlips View Post
I don't think the loss of a toe or 2 will be a big deal for a dragon, as long as there's no systemic infection; . . .
That would be my concern as well, but he looks alert and otherwise healthy. Hopefully, the vet can take care of the necrotic toe.

Pretty dragon!

Kathy

Old 04-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #4
hotlips
Yes, he's really pretty, and also, I think his tail looks OK: keep an eye on it, especially if it changes, & ask the vet since you'll be seeing one soon anyway, but as I recall, the tail tip on the dragon I had looked similar, a little darker/dryer than the upper part of the tail...I think that's normal? As far as being a little crooked, the tail may have sustained a minor injury, & hopefully with good nutrition & no other dragons to fight with, it may normalize in time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!