Hundreds of snakes to be released in Florida... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
WebSlave
Hundreds of snakes to be released in Florida...

Interesting......

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news...sed-in-Florida

Old 08-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Finally a news story with a positive bend to it........

Old 08-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
JordanAng420
That is awesome! Thanks for the link!

Old 08-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
deborahbroadus
So they can release animals back to their native habitant, but we can't? ummm I see how it works.

Anyway, glad to see some progress in the understanding in the need for snakes in the ecosystem.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
garweft
The comments below are fairly accepting of it. At least some people understand that even if they don't like them, they can still respect them, and they serve a purpose.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:34 AM   #6
Pachikat
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
So they can release animals back to their native habitant, but we can't? ummm I see how it works.
Not sure if that was sarcasm or what, but if it's an honest question I can elaborate(roughly) on why it's a big no-no for the average hobbyist to just release natives back into the wild... There's all sorts of horrible things that could go wrong if the average hobbyist just decided to create their own program and started releasing native animals back into the wild. Good intentions, perhaps... but they pose a HUUUUGE risk. If an animal were exposed to exotic/unfamiliar diseases and the like that non-native species can potentially carry, they could carry that with them/ or their offspring could carry that back with them and possibly expose/infect the natural population before anyone knew what was going on. The natives would have no natural immunity to this unknown ick and bam, they're either wiped out or the population is damaged beyond repair.

These guys get to do it, because they're focused on making sure that they DON'T introduce some unknown ick to the native populations. They've got government money at their disposal, which helps with the research and study. The average hobbyist does not.
Sorry if this doesn't sound all scientific and whatnot, I'm just summarizing it how it was explained to me.

Is this article anyway related to this one? http://projectorianne.org/recentnews.html
It's the second article down.

I'm super excited about it. I, for one, would LOOOOVE to be able to see these guys thriving in their natural habitat (Ranging farther/wider than the small pockets they're found in now.) T-T I want to photograph some of these guys one day.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
jeffwyatt81
Very awsome and exciting! This is a very good step in the right direction and I could not be happier! Eastern Indigos are by far one of my favs, on my top 5 list and they are amazing animals to say the least.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
EricIvins
200 Indigos on 25 Acres? That's a disaster waiting to happen........

Old 08-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
snowgyre
The breeding facility is on 25 acres, they plan on releasing them across the state.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
Pachikat
Not just across Florida either, looks like they're wanting reintroduce them into Georgia and Alabama too? (Basically that general southeastern area down there).. If you check out the one article I link, it mention some 2,300 acre preserve and a breeding facility somewhere. Project Orianne. Idk if either of these are related to each other, or just two completely different projects with similar goals in mind.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!