Red Pile Chickens - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #121
Chris Steele
Are there any particular things that chickens shouldn't be fed?

Old 10-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #122
IloveSnakes1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Steele
I dunno...but if you feed them chicken they might get offended and do bad stuff to you in your sleep...
J/K

Old 10-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #123
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Steele
Not really.....as long as they have a good steady diet of grain, they can have just about anything they will eat. I keep a self-feeder of cracked corn available for them all of the time, and mix in some laying mash sometimes in the height of the laying season. Always have grit available....but from there, I give mine a lot of things like leftover bread, (no one will eat the heel in my house, lol) tater peels, they LOVE it when you give them canteloupe or melon rinds, leftover veggies....whatever. As long as it isn't the mainstay of their diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovesnakes1234
I dunno...but if you feed them chicken they might get offended and do bad stuff to you in your sleep...
Actually.....I throw leftover from dinner into a pan outside the door for the cats, and the turkeys and chickens hear me call the kitties to the door, and they come a running too....it's kinda creepy watching chickens eat chicken, but they do. LOL.

And not to be gross here, but back when we were raising our own meat chickens, and it was butchering time, the other chickens would stand around the "cleaning" table, and fight over the uh.....scraps.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #124
Chris Steele
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
And not to be gross here, but back when we were raising our own meat chickens, and it was butchering time, the other chickens would stand around the "cleaning" table, and fight over the uh.....scraps.
I wouldn't doubt that a bit and I've fed mine chicken scraps a few times too.. makes me feel like im playing a cruel trick haha, but they love it.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #125
Chris Steele
Pine/Cedar & Chickens

Its bad for about everything else, chickens too?

Old 11-17-2007, 03:09 PM   #126
Cat_72
I have used pine shavings for bedding under my "broiler" chickens when we used to raise them with no ill effects.....as long as they are not young chicks, I don't worry about pine. I don't think I would use cedar at all, though....I guess I personally don't have any solid evidence that it would cause problems in chickens, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable using it knowing the problems it can present in other species.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!