What Is Septicernia??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 09-26-2003, 03:58 PM   #1
Boavoyage
What Is Septicernia???

One of the boa I sold died. The buyer sent me a vet report, which states, "There is no evidence of inclusion body disease in these sections. Multiple large granulomas, comprising heterophlla, macrophages and bacteria of variable morphology, were present in the intestine and spleen. The presence of fibrin thrombi with the liver suggests a hypercoaguable state. Death appears to be the result of septicernia."
My questions are:
1) What is Septicernia?
2) What caused Septicernia?
3) Can you explain what causes the death of this snake from these science terminology?
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-09-2003, 10:48 PM   #2
Glenn Bartley
Are you sure you do not mean SEPTICEMIA?

Septicimea is basically blood poisoning caused by microorganisms such as bacteria. Here is a dictionary definition:

Quote:
Main Entry: sep·ti·ce·mia
Pronunciation: "sep-t&-'sE-mE-&
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Latin septicus + New Latin -emia
Date: circa 1860
: invasion of the bloodstream by virulent microorganisms from a local seat of infection accompanied especially by chills, fever, and prostration; called also blood poisoning; compare SEPSIS

Old 10-09-2003, 10:51 PM   #3
Glenn Bartley
In layman's terms I would guess this snake had one heck of an infection somewhere in its body - so bad that it spread to the bloodstream - but then again I am no vet. You could easily ask a local vet or even your own doctor what all the terminology means, or look it up in an online medical dictionary if no one else here is sure.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!