An unbearable situation... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
WebSlave
An unbearable situation...

Well, our county has gone to mandatory waste pickup, and of course it is all screwed up. First off they didn't deliver the trash can when they were supposed to, so Connie had to call them to get them to bring us one. We were told that our trash pickup is scheduled for Friday between 4am and 6pm. So we put the trash can out by the road on Thursday night.

So Friday comes and goes, and no trash pickup. So we had to haul the trash can back under the car port over the weekend. I guess the garbage got to being rather tasty smelling to a critter, so this morning when Connie went out early to run to her dentist appointment, she found the trashcan knocked over and the garbage bags pulled out. And on top of that, the mosquito magnet we had nearby was knocked over as well. So I checked the security camera nearby to try to figure out what the heck happened.

Well.....

THAT explains it!

This shot was taken four minutes before Connie walked out to find the trashcan knocked over, and she said she heard something crashing around in the woods, so apparently she scared the bear off. Probably a real good thing for the bear, because she was PISSED, and I'm sure if the bear had come at her, it would have been in for a world of hurt.

Another day in the country......

Old 10-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Wolfy-hound
Bear is pretty tasty...

Glad it didn't harm anything else. They can be seriously destructive. I'd be calling the garbage folks up and asking if they have "bear proof" bins, since you've got bears attracted to your garbage.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
Bear is pretty tasty...

Glad it didn't harm anything else. They can be seriously destructive. I'd be calling the garbage folks up and asking if they have "bear proof" bins, since you've got bears attracted to your garbage.
Yes, they do. But of course they cost EXTRA. If bears get into the trash cans when they are on the side of the road, that will be their problem. We had trash pickup for YEARS with no issues, and those were just plastic bags put out in the early morning. So maybe those green Waste Pro cans with the bright blue tops just advertise FREE FOOD to bears. The county made this mandatory to go with Waste Pro by making the collection fees part of the taxes we have to pay. Which, of course, put those other companies right out of business.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Wolfy-hound
They enacted a garbage "fee" here too, but the yearly fee is way less than what I paid the private company to pick up garbage. Considering the only private company in my area used to just not bother to stop to get my garbage, left stuff strew around, and tore up the road... I'm not displeased about the "city" taking over. They do a better job. But man... them and me had us a war over me throwing out a garbage can. Thing was so beat up, it couldn't possible be used, and they refused to take it. I put a bit cardboard sign that said "TAKE THIS!!!" and they took the SIGN and left the can.

Eventually they took it... then brought it BACK two weeks later just to screw with me. At that point I cut it into pieces and put it into a trash bag so it would just go away. Entertainment in my nexk of the woods... not much, but always weird.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!