Help Needed Incubating Cockatiel Eggs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
Iggy189
Help Needed Incubating Cockatiel Eggs

My neighbor owns a pair of cockatiels and the female layed a total of like 11 eggs. I found this strange because I read online that they lay 3 to 6 eggs. Is that normal? Now theres 9 eggs left but she doesnt know exactly when the eggs were layed and the cockatiel abandoned her nest. I have an empty incubator so she asked me if I would incubate them. I've never incubated cockatiel eggs before. I read a couple caresheets and this is how I set up the incubator, constant 99*F and I added a cup of water to the bottom for humidity. I just want to make sure that what I'm doing is right since sometimes caresheets offer wrong information. If anyone can provide some links, info, or suggestions it will be greatly appreciated. I forgot to mention that one of the eggs is a grayish color and peeped and there's also two more eggs peeped. I read that it takes 24-72 hrs to hatch after it peeps. If needed I can post pics just let me know.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:25 PM   #2
Lucille
Ashley, may I suggest The Pet Bird by Upatsix website, www.upatsix.com
they have chat groups specific to particular kinds of birds, scroll down on the menu to the 'Online Bird Chatgroups' and just go to the cockatiel one, there are some of the very nicest bird people around there and they give great advice.

Old 04-23-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
mycurlylocks
Yes, the eggs can take as long as 48 hours to hatch. 72 hours is way too long. Larger birds may take 72 but the smaller types shouldn't.
The humidity for hatching the babies should be at 65%. If they seem to have trouble leaving the shell, very LIGHTLY mist the shells with warm water. Do not spray any water directly on the babies' beaks.
The hen was double clutching, most of the eggs won't be any good.
You have to set up a brooder with a temperature of 100 degrees.
Who gets to hand feed the babies?
Cockatiels are great fun, good luck.

Old 04-23-2005, 04:10 PM   #4
Iggy189
Lucille, thanks for suggesting that website. I'm going to go check out the website now.

Candy, thanks for the info it has been really helpful. About handfeeding I will help to feed them also. I can't wait til' they hatch.

Old 04-25-2005, 12:10 AM   #5
PaulSage
Keep waiting...

It's been awhile since I've bred cockatiels, but back when I did I raised literally hundreds of them - and hand-fed them all. First of all, 11 eggs is not unheard of, and remember that cockatiels lay ONE egg every OTHER day. Frequently they do not start 'sitting' until after there are a few eggs laid which causes the first two or three to hatch on the same day, and then one by one every two days until all the good ones have hatched. This can cause some problems with larger clutches or inexperienced parents as the oldest babies grow faster, and the smaller ones have to compete for food. Incubating them artificially at 99* is okay, but remember to keep the humidity high, and unlike reptile eggs, bird eggs need to ROTATED or else they will drown inside the egg. Automatic egg turners work best for this unless you want to do it by hand - which means turning them a 1/4 turn every 6 hours or so. Normally the eggs hatch 18-21 days after they START incubation, but don't give up on them too soon. Usually a good egg is a very solid white color, infertile ones have a slightly yellow-clear look to them, and the bad ones turn a pale gray-green. I've never seen more than 9 out of any size clutch hatch, so don't be surprised if some don't. For the first four hours or so after hatching, the babies are still feeding off of their yolk that is absorbed into the abdomen just prior to hatching, so don't try to start feeding right after hatching. You should try to feed them every four hours around the clock until they're two weeks old (I know, it's a HUGE committment.) I used to leave the babies with the parents until the youngest was two weeks, and then I would pull all of them to start feeding about four times per day. Use a formula like LM's or Kaytee's (preferred) and a leur tip syringe. Remember that a cockatiel's esophagus is actually on the RIGHT side of the bird's throat. If you force the formula the other way, the bird could aspirate and die. Don't be afraid to stick the tip of the syringe pretty far into the birds mouth, aiming toward the esophagus, and remember to keep their head UP while delivering the formula.
If things don't work out this time (sometimes a first clutch isn't fertile) I would recommend letting the parents hatch out the next clutch and then pulling the babies when the youngest is two weeks, like I previously mentioned. If you have any further questions, please feel free to send me an email, I'd be more than happy to help you out any way I can
Good luck!
Paul Sage

Old 04-25-2005, 03:50 PM   #6
Iggy189
Paul, Thanks for the info. I will be emailing you because I got a couple questions to ask.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!