Inquiry Black Pearl Reptiles - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:17 AM   #1
Its_JoeyHello
Black Pearl Reptiles

Im looking to add some female Eastern Indigos to my collection. Has anyone worked with black Pearl? My friend has a 2013 female from them, but she has split scales, which seems to represent a genetic issue? I have seen them at shows but other then my one friend haven't ever heard good or bad reviews on them. Anything would help me out, thank you in advance.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:56 AM   #2
Big Borg Reptiles
The split scale thing with easterns is a myth based on everyone I've talked to who has actually bred them. The claim is that it's a sign of inbreeding, but people who have outcrossed completely unrelated animals still get babies with the split scales. No evidence at all that it means anything other than that the snake absorbed a yolk sac in the egg (which is a good thing obviously).

I worked with a bunch of hogs that came from black pearl and had no issues at all.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:27 AM   #3
Beyond GenetiX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_JoeyHello View Post
Im looking to add some female Eastern Indigos to my collection. Has anyone worked with black Pearl? My friend has a 2013 female from them, but she has split scales, which seems to represent a genetic issue? I have seen them at shows but other then my one friend haven't ever heard good or bad reviews on them. Anything would help me out, thank you in advance.
I have never purchased from John personally, but I have reached out to him occasionally with questions. He was quick reply and was a big help when I needed it. I would not hesitate to buy from Black Pearl.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
dieselfan
John at Black Pearl Reptiles is Awesome! Great customer service, excellent shipping, and most important his animals are top notch! I highly recommend them!!!

Old 11-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
tim brophy
i do not know Black Pearl and have never purchased from John Michels. But i do keep and have bred indigos. Many well respected breeders certainly do believe the split scales are a sign of inbreeding.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
Black Adder
I have purchased two animals from John and find him to be very easy to work with, however none were couperi so cannot vouch for the quality of the ones he deals in just the man himself
i feel any questions you ask of him he will reply honestly which is about as much as you can ask for nowadays
good luck as the couperi is the very pinnacle of north american colubrids

Old 11-20-2016, 11:40 PM   #7
Its_JoeyHello
Thanks for all the information guys, Ive been doing research on the split scale issue.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:47 PM   #8
JoshM
I've known John many many years and can say you'll be satisfied should you connect and purchase anything he may have to offer.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 AM   #9
Its_JoeyHello
I have heard so far he is great to work with, however several snake produced by him that I have considered going with (my friends 2013 female) ( female black phase posted on this site) both have the split scale issue. Now John has told both owners that it is not a issue for breeding, but the breeder I purchased my male from states otherwise. Im interning as a DVM and I spoke with a friend that works with exotics, as for me they are a hobby and I only typically see small animals. They both state that it is a genetic weakness in a poorly diverse gene pool. My male has perfect scales and none are split. I would rather not produce offspring with split scales and would want to do my best to produce a gene pool as unrelated as possible. Does anyone have any advice on this? My friend is willing to give me his female 2013 for me allowing him to use my adult female black dragon in his water monitor breeding program, we would split the clutch.

Thanks in advance, I truly appreciate the input as I take this seriously.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:36 AM   #10
FresnoTortoise
I bought a yellow-tail cribo from him back in 2015. It was a good experience buying form him. Currently he is my number one choice for an eastern indigo someday.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!