IBD in big breeders collection? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
playball
IBD in big breeders collection?

Without mentioning names, I heard that a big breeder had a confirmed IBD outbreak in his collection, lots of snakes were dropping left, right and centre AND was still actively selling to the public!

Apparently another big breeder is sueing him for loss of animals on a breeding loan?

Can anyone share valuable info without naming names!

The possibility of further spread of IBD is what pisses me off...

Beware, beware of even big breeders!

Brian A.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by playball
Without mentioning names, I heard that a big breeder had a confirmed IBD outbreak in his collection, lots of snakes were dropping left, right and centre AND was still actively selling to the public!

Apparently another big breeder is sueing him for loss of animals on a breeding loan?

Can anyone share valuable info without naming names!

The possibility of further spread of IBD is what pisses me off...

Beware, beware of even big breeders!

Brian A.

If its a confirmed outbreak why not mention their name?

Why does the profile of the account that you are using say Mike Smith while you sign your post Brian A.?

This post really isn't helpful except to cast doubt on all "big breeders".

Old 01-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
playball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ashton
If its a confirmed outbreak why not mention their name?
Because my lawyer is too expensive!

Quote:
Why does the profile of the account that you are using say Mike Smith while you sign your post Brian A.?
What is it to you, I have a double personality!

Quote:
This post really isn't helpful except to cast doubt on all "big breeders".
Do you have any info to share except to be a smart ass!

Mike Smith AKA Brian A.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
LadyOhh
Mike AKA Brian,

There are people who are aware of the possibility of who you are talking about, but there is very little that can be said without a LOT of speculation.
The BOI is a tool that is available to read at any time, and I think that is where this post, with names, should belong.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by playball
What is it to you, I have a double personality!
Great - Just what we need, more anonymous posters.

Own your words or keep them to yourself.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
snakebiteAZ1
Yeah

What Mike said!!!!

Old 01-14-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
Wolfy-hound
SOunds Troll-like to me.
If you can't line up your account name with your signed name, then I suspect YOU immediately. Refusing to back up information, and becoming arragantly defensive instead of explaining also makes me suspect YOU.
Sorry that you have had some bad experiance with some big breeder. Until I see some proof offered, then I tend to think, malicious gossip... did you realize that by NOT being specific ANY and ALL 'big breeders' could call that "libel in print" and if you have been saying that as well, "slander".
Just saying...
Theresa Baker AKA Wolfy AKA Wolfy-hound

Old 01-16-2007, 03:07 AM   #8
CornNut
I think we are all learning and getting better at this all the time. In the mid 90’s I picked up mites suspiciously right after receiving new snakes from more than one breeder but would be surprised if that is still going on now that the IBD threat is fully realized.

Randy Remington

Old 01-16-2007, 03:21 AM   #9
CornNut
Crap, I hate the login timeout. I lost most of my post. Here goes again ...

Mathematically it would make sense that the bigger the collection, especially if a lot of animals move through it, the more likely it is to pick something up. I wouldn't be surprised if most big collections have had at least one mass die off. Of course publicizing it would be suicide for (big) business but it's a shame because the details could help others avoid the same situation. Perhaps precautions are now taken like segmenting collections into separate rooms each with their own cleaning equipment and perhaps even ventilation system so at most one room full is lost and not the entire collection.

I've not heard of IBD in association with a specific collection in years (but then again I’m not at all in the know either). I wouldn't expect it to be much of a problem in the ball python community because they reportedly die from it so quickly. Boas on the other hand are reported to live long enough to pass it to mates and even offspring. My vet told me that he did a study and found 50% of the boas he tested had IBD but I don't know how random the sample was.

There are other nasties but I don't know their names. In the late 90's I once foolishly transported a group of my young corn snakes in the same container as a few new corn snakes. They all died in the next week or so. Whatever it was apparently it wasn't airborne. Maybe if you really wanted to read up on snake diseases you would need to hang out on forums for less expensive snakes as ball pythons are still probably too expensive to get sick.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!