Just didn't have the heart to feed him to someone - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
techgirl
Just didn't have the heart to feed him to someone

I had to feed the snakes that only eat live tonight. Of course my normal male, Goldy, is still sticking to his 3 month fast(does this every winter) and refused his meal. I just didn't have the heart to kill this baby or even feed him to my boa. Everyone....meet Blue, the blue hooded rat baby.
My boyfriend is going to kill me when he finds out.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
techgirl
Actually I did have to put him down. After setting him up and watching him for a few hours, I noticed that he was exhibiting neurological signs and actually was circling.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
steveingram
Sorry to hear that. He was cute. I have a pet mouse because he was cool looking. Now he's the fattest mouse I have ever seen. My wife almost killed me when she met the mouse.

Anyway, he looked like a cool rat, but you did the right thing.

-Steve Ingram

Old 03-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
Bella17
awww poor little guy, like Steve said tho, you did the right thing.. If you really feel the need to have a pet rat though, I can send you my babies that way! lol I have two adult albino male rats. I can't kill them, and can't manage to find them a new home. they're 2 years old. Great little guys, im just allergic.

Michelle

Old 03-14-2007, 04:18 AM   #5
creepycrawly
I thought somehow I was the only one...

A while back (almost a year ago now that I think of it) I purchased a snake that I was told was feeding solely on live. I usually feed only pk, so went out and made a special trip to buy a live mouse for the new arrival, to help him settle in before switching him over. To make a somewhat long story rather short, the snake never did eat ANYTHING, and ever even acted interested in this live mouse. It lived in a cardboard box (and then the bathtub once he chewed a hole on the cardboard box) as I didn't have a mouse cage for it at first. One morning there were dirty pawprints all over the bathtub (cat sized paw prints) and no mouse. We figured one of the cats ate the mouse, and didn't think too much of it. Several days later though, both dogs and both cats were staring intently at the wire shoe rack by the front door. Something had to be up. My boyfriend went over, and shooed away the pets, and looked underneath the shoe rack, and sure enough, there was the feeder mouse. He put his hand down flat on the linolium, and the mouse scampered over and hopped on his hand! He deemed the mouse saved, and we purchased a cage for him (actually four over the past year - he's a little escape artist!) and kept him safe ever since. He does enjoy escaping every few months, and won't come to anyone but the boyfriend. It is quite bizarre, and strange to watch. He won't come to me (maybe it remembers that I am the one who tossed it in with the snake?) but will come to my boyfriend without hesitation! It has become a VERY chunky little very spoiled mouse - and very very lucky at that!

Old 03-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
Suncoast Herpetological
The snake keepers credo we all need to remember

"Don't make friends with the food"

Old 03-21-2007, 12:40 AM   #7
jennifer_stntn
i had a little mousey like that the other nite.he was so adorable i actually held him.i left him in the cage over nite with another mouse who was a lil bit bigger cuz every time i took the bigger guy out,the adorable one searched for him.well in the morning i came to check on snakes n everyone and no little mouse?????then the bottom of cage is covered in chewed flesh and poop.a murder had taken place.first i vomited then i cried. i still fell bad cuz its my fault that guy had to go like that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!