Pro Venomoids - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-03-2005, 11:06 PM   #21
cypherpunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangrde1
The problem with regulations is, You can over regulate yourself right out of something. Then there is the issue of who will enforce them and how.
Exactly. <em>Good</em> regulations are minimally annoying to people doing the right thing already, and encourage people who aren't to keep up. <em>Dumb</em> regulations&mdash;of which outright bans are an extreme example&mdash;are a PITA for people who obey them but have minimal effect on people who ignore them.

Old 07-03-2005, 11:09 PM   #22
cypherpunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakegetters
Just today I was made aware of a case where the daughter of a venomous keeper was bitten by an Aspidelaps lubricus which had supposedly escaped from its cage. So you would count this one as the only known case in which an escaped venomous snake harmed someone who was not its keeper or handler. A bit of a historical first, which no doubt will be used as a huge weight of ammunition against venomous keepers despite the rarity of the occurrence (once in all the history of venomous snake keeping).
How old was she? Without some harder evidence, we can never know the truth, but "I didn't touch it; it must have got out all by itself" is something more often said by young children than believed by their parents.

Old 07-05-2005, 11:15 AM   #23
Tim Cole
Angry Unfortunately...

I do know of a bite to an innocent person by an escapee. In Palatine, Ill. an atrox escaped from it's cage on the second floor of an apartment building. It got into the ventilation system and reappearred in a first floor apartment. It was here that it bit a little girl. She survived the bite. This was back in the early 80's. I am personally knowledgable of this tragic event. It could easily have been avoided with proper protocols.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:30 AM   #24
JuliusSqueezer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cole
I do know of a bite to an innocent person by an escapee. In Palatine, Ill. an atrox escaped from it's cage on the second floor of an apartment building. It got into the ventilation system and reappearred in a first floor apartment. It was here that it bit a little girl. She survived the bite. This was back in the early 80's. I am personally knowledgable of this tragic event. It could easily have been avoided with proper protocols.
I believe you heard what you heard but I'm betting a lot of assumptions were made on this story. I bet the snake got outside somehow and came in through an open door downstairs in which case it would just be coincidental that a wild timber didn't happen along. If I lived in an apartment and a snake that escaped from a neighbor came slithering out into my apartment through the ducts...well, first of all I guess I'd have a new snake...then I'd be calling the landlord asking why I'm sharing heating and A/C with my neighbors. That should all be seperate systems and no duct work between apartments should be connected with each other...unless it's something more along the line of a boarding house. I hear that alot with apt dwellers..."what if it gets in the ducts and goes to another apartment?" COMPLAIN that your neighbors are stealing your A/C!

Old 07-15-2005, 06:44 AM   #25
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter
Hello, I am new to this forum, and I have been seeing a lot of negative response to venomoids. Personally, I feel that it should be illegal to keep hot reptiles. I believe that the only types of venomous snakes that should be legal to keep are venomoids. I feel that hot snakes are not only a risk to their owner, but to the general public. Accidents cannot be forseen, and they can and do occur. For this reason only venomoids should be legal to own as an extra security measure. Duct/gland removal, when done properly and with proper anesthetics, does not alter the snakes quality of life. How can the absence of venom negatively effect a captive snake?

-Rusty

I recently took the concealed handgun course here in Texas, and one of the things our instructor told us is that there is no such thing as an unloaded gun. I think he was trying to make a well taken point about safety, that no one should assume that something like a gun, which has the power to kill, was by someone else's actions made safe, and that you should never trust a weapon to be unloaded.
That is the way I feel about venomoids. I would treat them all as 'hot' snakes. I wonder why someone would put a poor snake through the misery of such surgery when wisdom dictates that one treat it as a hot snake regardless of any claimed surgery.
There is nothing wrong with loaded guns or hot snakes, as long as they are treated with the respect they deserve. I would not guess about the status of a gun, and I certainly would not be careless about a venomous snake no matter what people said about its history or status.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:06 AM   #26
Tim Cole
Thumbs down Truthfully...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusSqueezer
I believe you heard what you heard but I'm betting a lot of assumptions were made on this story. I bet the snake got outside somehow and came in through an open door downstairs in which case it would just be coincidental that a wild timber didn't happen along. If I lived in an apartment and a snake that escaped from a neighbor came slithering out into my apartment through the ducts...well, first of all I guess I'd have a new snake...then I'd be calling the landlord asking why I'm sharing heating and A/C with my neighbors. That should all be seperate systems and no duct work between apartments should be connected with each other...unless it's something more along the line of a boarding house. I hear that alot with apt dwellers..."what if it gets in the ducts and goes to another apartment?" COMPLAIN that your neighbors are stealing your A/C!
This is not what I had heard! This did happen! The owner of the snake used to be a friend of mine and he called me when it happened! I had distanced myself from him due to his carelessness in keeping hots. The apartment including heat and cooling so it DID have a common system. This was in Illinois which does NOT have atrox native to the state.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:24 AM   #27
Tim Cole
Warning! In addition...

Joe Mayer was the owner of the snake. He brought it back from Arizona. I did not realise that he had come back from Arizona until he called me about this tragic event. His collection was seized and given to the Brookfield Zoo. He wanted to know if I could get his non-venomous snakes back for him.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:20 AM   #28
JuliusSqueezer
OK...freaky stuff. I was thinking about this later...could be one of those old buildings where people sit with their ears against the grates and listen to other people's conversations whispered in neighboring apartments lol.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:20 AM   #29
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusSqueezer
OK...freaky stuff. I was thinking about this later...could be one of those old buildings where people sit with their ears against the grates and listen to other people's conversations whispered in neighboring apartments lol.
Exactly what I was going to say. I grew up in NY in such a place.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:23 AM   #30
JuliusSqueezer
Living in such a place is not exactly an ideal place to be living and keeping venomous. That was irresponsible to begin with and apparently caging was not up to par.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!