New Indiana Bill the Senate is Voting on. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Jon Mitchell
New Indiana Bill the Senate is Voting on.

I just wanted to let everyone know about a law they are trying to pass in Indiana. It is SB 482 that states that you can not own, breed, or aquire a new snake that has the potential to reach 6 feet in length. This will include Ball Pythons, Corn Snakes, Kingsnakes, and almost every other snake with the exception of maybe Rosy Boas, Sand Boas, etc. I have sent emails to evey legislator in the state and would encourage anyone living in the sate or doing business with someone in the state send emails as well.

You can find more information out at: www.degei.com

This bill will also not only effect us snake owners but a loval pet shop said if the bill passes, they will be forced to close their doors after 24 years of operation. Their business is dependent upon on the sale on snakes and the rodents for their food.

Just wanted to get to word out.

J_

Old 01-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Goanna
That is just ridiculous. 6 feet is nothing for a snake. If they are going to ban something on size alone it should be ones that get 12 feet or more and over a certain weight, but even then I dont really agree with it.

If they are definitly going to pass legislation, the best is a species specific list of animals to ban, or better yet instill a permit system for those animals, and also allow for a grandfather clause for current keepers.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
Damon Theis
I have confirmed with Senator Sipes office this morning that Senate Bill 482 is DEAD!

1472 is still on for house committee Wed. Senator Sipes office told me to expect major changes on the bill in committee.

Just incase everyone is not aware of the public meeting on Wed.
I believe I have everything up to date on www.degei.com
-damon

Old 01-30-2007, 11:14 PM   #4
Jon Mitchell
Thanks Damon.

I have sent emails to all the house members and also to the senate members prior to this. I got a call from my local house member and she told me that she would lobby against the bill in it's present form. Not really sure what form she would like to see it grow into but at least she said that. Senetor Snipes told me that the bill had already been changed and that I, as a Ball Python breeder, all of my concerns were taken care of. Not really sure of this either as it still reads six feet and I would still have to obtain a $100.00 permit for each animal I own and it looks like I still can't breed or aquire new ones in any manner.

I emailed her office again this evening to ask for specifics on how the bill had changed so hopefully I will get more information in the morning.

J_

Old 01-31-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
Damon Theis
I've "heard" the same things from Sipes that the 1472 bill in the house is going to be changed, but as of yet there are no changes. I will have more info tonight when I get back from Indy.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
shrap
Well I for one was truly surprised at the turn out for bill 1472. The place was packed, standing room only. And it was overwhelmingly populated, and I do mean OVERWHELMINGLY, by people against this Bill. I am not sure what effect this have on the Bill long term but they decided to not vote on it all even though a vote was planned.

It may be just me and wishful thinking but I think the committee was surprised that there was such a strong turn out against this Bill. Hopefully they will take the time to do some research for themselves instead of listening to mouth pieces from special interest groups.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
Damon Theis
The turn out was great!

I put my comments on www.degei.com for anyone interested.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Jon Mitchell
Hey Damon, do you have any new info on this Bill?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!