List of good/bad chemicals for cleaning - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
terra_firma
List of good/bad chemicals for cleaning

Hey there,

I know you can use wipe out, f10 or Chlorhexadine to disinfect tubs, water bowls, caging stuff etc that comes in direct contact with the snake.

Now i was wondering what's a good cleaner to use for the rest of the stuff in your snake room? For instance i have a metal rolling cart, and one of those home depot storage shelves everyone makes racks out of. They have been in storage for a few years so they are covered with different types of dirt/construction dust from sitting in a workshop. What should i scrub this stuff with?

The ONE natural cleaner i happen to have is the trader joes CEDAR oil cleaner which is going in the trash hahah. But i also have vinegar, bleach water, windex, 409 cleaner, zep orange industrial cleaner etc. I'm sure a few of these are harmful to snakes, even if it's just a dried, leftover residue since spray cleaners typically dont get washed off (kinda defeats the convenience)

So i guess i have 2 questions. Do these disinfectants (wipeout, f10 etc) have any actual CLEANING properties to them, or they only for spraying on after cleaning to disinfect?

2nd question is, whats a safe list of DIY or store-bought cleaners that can be used on all the OTHER stuff in your snake room that aren't enclosures? It would be a bonus if it disinfects too, but i can always spray wipeout on the cart and shelf after i've scrubbed

thanks!

Old 02-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
bcr229
F10SC is a primarily a disinfectant. F10SCXD contains eXtra Detergent for deeper cleaning which is why the directions state to rinse it well.

For layers of shop dust I would first use a shop vac to remove as much of the looser dirt as possible, followed by mild dish soap and a scrub brush to see how much dirt and grime can be removed without resorting to the harsher chemicals.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
Randall Turner
I 2nd using a shop vac at first and after that good ole elbow grease with soap and water.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
bcr229
This article also popped up in my Facebook feed today, it was posted in one of the reptile groups I'm in.

http://madisonherps.org/educationala...ans-enclosure/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!