Provent-a-mite.... - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-31-2006, 11:30 PM   #41
kmurphy
Quote:
P.S. Mites can also be spread from food items . Good rodent breeders treat their colonies for mites, parasites etc . For those without the ability to take in frozen rodents even buying live and prekilling it before feeding can spread mites , even visiting a shop with mites can pick up hitch hikers , not just new arrivals .
I don't know. This can't be a very common way of spreading mites. The rodent producer would need to have reptiles in order to have the mites in the first place and secondly I don't know that I would want my snake food treated for mites as a preventive measure. Has anyone else heard that rodent producers treat their animals?

Old 11-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #42
KrisGarner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy
I don't know. This can't be a very common way of spreading mites. The rodent producer would need to have reptiles in order to have the mites in the first place and secondly I don't know that I would want my snake food treated for mites as a preventive measure. Has anyone else heard that rodent producers treat their animals?
Exactly what I was wondering Click Here

As far as the Equate stuff, the Bedding Spray is .5% permethrin, OK so far so good.
But the shampoo I picked up is 4% piperonyl butoxide, Pyrethrum extract (equivalent to 0.33% pyrethrins). According to a post on KS, click here , "Studies have been done, and products are marketed, showing that Piperonyl butoxide as well as other chemicals are definitely toxic to reptiles". Of course this is from Pro Products.

Did I get the wrong shampoo??? I don't want to go hosing down the snake room with something that is toxic

Old 11-01-2006, 11:08 AM   #43
The BoidSmith
Don't use the shampoo, just the bedding spray! And of course don't spray it directly on the snake. Remove the snake from the enclosure, spray the bedding (newspaper preferred if you suspect mites), and the rest of the enclosure. Let it dry up, and once dry then reintroduce the snake into the enclosure.

Regards.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:20 AM   #44
KrisGarner
Well, crap. I figured since it was right next to the Nix, it was the same stuff.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #45
BryonsBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy
Its not overly common . You would find it more from dirty pet shops or an average hobbyist that doesn't know mites can hitchhike when they put uneaten rats / mice back into their colonies .

The reason I mentioned it is it and the other causes I mentioned can happen not just new arrivals going into quarantine.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!